Using 125 gallon tank as sump

jacobB89

so I have been planning on using a 125 gallon tank for my sump. But have slight second thoughts. Got this tank a while back cleaned it up but the silicone seams worry me some. Tank had a top rim that went around the rim but no center brace. The plastic had been put back in with silicone from previous owner but was sloppy. I took all the plastic trim off the top and it was 4 parts. I left them off bit kept them just in case.

Think that sums it up for the most part.

So use it? Or not to use it?

Pictures

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

post-2633886-138947032022_thumb.jpg

post-2633886-138947033592_thumb.jpg

post-2633886-138947035086_thumb.jpg

post-2633886-138947036135_thumb.jpg

That makes me pretty nervous. A 125 even half full as a sump is not a trivial amount of water. Since it doesn't need to be pretty, could you glop on a huge bead of silicone over the existing one to be doubly secure?

Yeah, I don't know about the integrity of it, here is what I would do.

I would double up on silicone like Shoelace suggested. Then I would use it.

That makes me pretty nervous. A 125 even half full as a sump is not a trivial amount of water. Since it doesn't need to be pretty, could you glop on a huge bead of silicone over the existing one to be doubly secure?

my feeling exactly lol.. I did have this in the garge about 3/4 way full of water for about 2 months no problems or leaks. But what about years as being a sump? 

As for adding a bead of silicone for extra faith lol. Im not sure if that would be good or not from what I can remember is that silicone wont bond with old silicone. So in my eyes it would bond to the sides but not the old silicone not sure if it would help any other then for looks?

(edited)

Yeah, I don't know about the integrity of it, here is what I would do.

I would double up on silicone like Shoelace suggested. Then I would use it.

If that's all I need to do then I will just was not 100% if it would work.

As for the tank never having a center brace prior. I will be using 1/4 glass for sump sections so that should help brace it some right?

Edited by jacobB89

Have a few pieces of glass cut and silicone those across the tank as bubble traps. They will make the tank more rigid ( and get rid of bubbles too).

Big sumps are safe as long as they are very well supported. I had a 55 fail because the platform I had it sitting on bowed a tiny bit and put stress on the joints.

If that's all I need to do then I will just was not 100% if it would work.

As for the tank never having a center brace prior. I will be using 1/4 glass for sump sections so that should help brace it some right?

I wouldn't quote me on that, that's just what I would do personally. I would wait to hear what others have to say. I don't want to be responsible for 100 gallons of water on your floor.

(edited)

I wouldn't quote me on that, that's just what I would do personally. I would wait to hear what others have to say. I don't want to be responsible for 100 gallons of water on your floor.

+1 to that lol 

Have a few pieces of glass cut and silicone those across the tank as bubble traps. They will make the tank more rigid ( and get rid of bubbles too).

Big sumps are safe as long as they are very well supported. I had a 55 fail because the platform I had it sitting on bowed a tiny bit and put stress on the joints.

There will be a few panes of glass that go across for different sections and the bubble traps as well.

Here is a picture of what I am looking at doing. (not to scale)

12db3444-20e4-4db2-a2f3-85fdc6a2c49a_zps

Edited by jacobB89

I agree, with the baffles added it will be very safe to use.

Just strip the old silicone, but leave the silicone that's in between the panes. Then re do all of the silicone on the inside of the tank. It will give you a good seal if it has glass to attach to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Any 100% silicone is fine...the stuff at lowes/HD is fine...you'll probably go through 2 or 3 tubes doing those side seams..... Also pick up a "bathtub" edge for caulking...a $3 doohickey that will help evenly spread it...

Yes, any 100% silicone is fine, but just double check at HD/Lowes because they also sell that GE Silicone 2 that is mold/mildew resistant and is NOT reef safe.

I like Steve's idea of stripping the internal silicone (leaving the silicone between the panes) and resealing with new silicone.  Otherwise, if you were to do a new bead of silicone over the old one, it would have to be really thick and not only fully cover the old silicone, but come into contact with a good amount of glass outside the border of the old silicone.  I, too, however, don't want to be responsible for 100G on your floor.   :ohmy:

Just strip the old silicone, but leave the silicone that's in between the panes. Then re do all of the silicone on the inside of the tank. It will give you a good seal if it has glass to attach to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan

Any 100% silicone is fine...the stuff at lowes/HD is fine...you'll probably go through 2 or 3 tubes doing those side seams..... Also pick up a "bathtub" edge for caulking...a $3 doohickey that will help evenly spread it...

Thanks and thats a good idea usually use my finger lol

Yes, any 100% silicone is fine, but just double check at HD/Lowes because they also sell that GE Silicone 2 that is mold/mildew resistant and is NOT reef safe.

I like Steve's idea of stripping the internal silicone (leaving the silicone between the panes) and resealing with new silicone.  Otherwise, if you were to do a new bead of silicone over the old one, it would have to be really thick and not only fully cover the old silicone, but come into contact with a good amount of glass outside the border of the old silicone.  I, too, however, don't want to be responsible for 100G on your floor.   :ohmy:

yea I would not hold anyone responsible lol 

Well looks like that will be the goal tomorrow find help and get the 180 and 125 in the house and then go about cutting old silicone off the inside and adding new in. Then measure it all for sump baffles!

1 step closer!

I wanted to emphasize this. If you use the mold/mildew stuff, you will kill things in your tank. 

I wanted to emphasize this. If you use the mold/mildew stuff, you will kill things in your tank.

I'll stay away from that kind then.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk