Reflective material, brilliant finish

flowerseller

I'm looking to redue the innerds of my hood to include all 3x 250w SE bulbs into one long reflector about 20" x 50". My tank is 24" x 60"

I have only been able to find brushed aluminum to accomplish this with.

I did make a reflector out of this for use on my prop tank and was very pleased with the dispurstion of light from a single 250w bulb over an 18 x 36 foot print.

It's very evenly distributed. (to the eye)

I would like to find a brilliant finished, workable sheet(s) but have not found it.

Not at HD, or Dixie sheet metal.

Have any ideas?

Plus, how important do you really think the brilliance plays as opposed to brushed?

I used that flim stuff for my fist hood w/flourecent bulbs and it worked great.

However soon enough the flim became almost see through but by then we started using internal recltor bulbs so I didn't change it out.

While it could have been the light from flourecent bulbs that burned it away, I'm pretty confident it won't hold up with 3 250w halides cooking away.

I think it could stand the heat but, not the uv from the light.

Thanks a bunch for the post though, I appreciate your thinking.

Actually I need to create a reflector too for the actinic supplementation I'm looking to put above my 180. I've got reflectors for my 250 bulbs...

So Chip, if you find brilliant reflective material, I'm very much in the market.

Man, I'm hoping you guys can find it for me because I haven't.

Take a look at the film mutley showed us because it's neat stuff but not good for my particular application.

Your actinics aren't internal reflective?

Actually I need to create a reflector too for the actinic supplementation I'm looking to put above my 180.  I've got reflectors for my 250 bulbs...

So Chip, if you find brilliant reflective material, I'm very much in the market.

48583[/snapback]

I'm about to build my canopy (this weekend if I can find the time) and will be canibalizing two 36" JBJ formosa hoods, mostly for the reflectors, but also for the PC's and fans. I can let you know if I have any leftover reflector material from that project.

I found mirror finish sheet aluminum from McMaster-Carr

But I'm still not thoroughly convinced I must have the mirror finish to accomplish my goal.

I made a really nice reflector from a brushed finish aluminum which provides a nice evenly blended light with no apparent hot spots.

Often I see these highly reflective materials and they seem to give an almost "washed" look to me.

I'm having fine results with the same finish material.

I may just press ahead with what I've got and evaluate it since I'm also changing the actual positioning of the bulbs in the process.

Bright is bright, but how bright does it really need to be?

Thanks a bunch for your replies.

Depends on your application I'd imagine. For me, in need of reflective material for actinic supplementation, I'd think I'd want to reflect as much light as possible. Looking at the prices though -- wow that's not cheap stuff. I think I'm better off buying PFO reflectors from marine depot.

I think reflectors with halides are important due to the 360 degree output of light around the lamp. The poorer the reflectors, the less efficient the lamps are. I would think a non-spectral grade aluminum reflector might actually rank below a white reflector... which runs about 85% or so in terms of reflectivity. Just my opinion and numbers from memory. That is why I think spectral grade Parabolic reflectors are the way to go with MH's if getting the most out of the lamps is the goal.

I would like to find a source for Miro4 aluminum to make some reflectors out of. My brother who builds houses has a tool that he says he could bend pretty much anything I wanted. What type of material did you find at McMaster Carr? I might be interested... I once tracked down some Miro4, but I would have had to buy a whole roll of the stuff for ~$400 + shipping.

I found sheets as large as 24"x24" of mirror finish but it does'nt mention "miro4" and you can buy 1 or more sheets.

If you go to their site, type - specular aluminum sheeting.

I currently use flashing material and it seems to work fine.