Anyone interested in helping me build a stand?

Fireman12s

Hi All...

So, I finally have most of the components for my 90 Gal bow... (up grading from a 36 Gal Bow) Got my sump, MP-40, skimmer, DC12,000 pump, apex lite, (still need lights) and other such items.... Now, I need help building a stand.  I am looking at something rather simple 5' long by 2' wide... although I am looking to do something with more "finesse" in regards to piping and electrical wiring. Additionally, I would like to have enough room under the stand for a 10gal quarantine tank, and possibly an ATO tank (although I might build a separate stand for the ATO in the form of a RODI storage tank as well as a holding tank for NaCl Water on the same stand) *4 tanks... 2 stands*  In regard to finesse, I mean organized and neat... I don't want a birds nest of wiring or a plumber's nightmare.... So.. if you are full of ideas, and well organized, I could use your help.  Saturday... Please PM me with questions, etc... Or post them here... that is fine too I guess... Also, I live in South Arlington near Pentagon City.. 

:cool:  -B

Do you have all the necessary tools? Compound miter saw, table saw, drills and such? How are you wanting to accomplish the bowed front? I've seen some really cool ply fronts that had channels that were ripped on the inside for the bend...

And what size is the sump?.....

Not really planning on doing a bowed front... just a box to make things simple.  I can get a compound miter saw, and I have a drill, hammers, etc...the sump will fit within the stand. Don't have a table saw.. no need...

Buy a four foot long power outlet, that helps with the wires. Lowes has some nice stuff on the back wall near the lumber to make the front and sides look nice. Put plumbing towards the back, I made that mistake.

I think he meant an oversized rectangle..

He said 2 ft wide...I though the depth of a 90 bowfront was over that? Or am I over thinking this...obviously it should not be me to help,lol unless he wants a piece of ply for the bow....I saw how to make that and could probably do it on my tale saw,lol

If you look back at my build thread you can see how I built my stand for my 90...

Some words of wisdom... Don't fully enclose leave the back open unless you install vent fans....

Don't over think the support! 2x4's going from the ground up at 4 corners is plenty of support! Just make the stand a little wider/longer then your tank! Will give you a nice ledge for a shelf!

Use marine based paint or if not make sure you seal the wood good!

Dc12000?? Holy crap batman that's a lot of power for a 90 lol! I have a 6000 and it's not on full blast lol. I had it on full for awhile but it was too much..

Don't put a QT under your tank because the chemicals you would use In a QT have a high probability of accidentally getting in your sump.. That would be bad... Very bad..

I will never do a black stand again.. Salt creep control is never ending! White all the way lol!

(edited)

I think he meant an oversized rectangle..

Yep.. bow is 18" front to back.. so 24" will give me 6" extra.. Basically 24" wide by 5 feet long... Tank is 18"wide at the widest and 4' long... :)

Edited by Fireman12s

If you look back at my build thread you can see how I built my stand for my 90...

Some words of wisdom... Don't fully enclose leave the back open unless you install vent fans....

Don't over think the support! 2x4's going from the ground up at 4 corners is plenty of support! Just make the stand a little wider/longer then your tank! Will give you a nice ledge for a shelf!

Use marine based paint or if not make sure you seal the wood good!

Dc12000?? Holy crap batman that's a lot of power for a 90 lol! I have a 6000 and it's not on full blast lol. I had it on full for awhile but it was too much..

Don't put a QT under your tank because the chemicals you would use In a QT have a high probability of accidentally getting in your sump.. That would be bad... Very bad..

I will never do a black stand again.. Salt creep control is never ending! White all the way lol!

Matt, that is some good advice, particularly about the Qt and chemicals in the sump.  However, I think I will have enough room to put both there and separate them..  If I don't however, I will take your advice and NOT do so!  

-B :cool: