Sexy Shrimp eating coral?

YHSublime

My sexy has been hanging out on my zoas as of late. I don't think it's actually eating the zoas, maybe waste and stuff around, but it's causing them to close up constantly. A google search yields mixed reviews on if the shrimp is actually eating polyps, or if it is just "cleaning." It's a bigger sexy shrimp, if that matters.

Figured we've got the know and smarts on WAMAS to get some facts...

One of the problems is sexy shrimp like to use anemones as hosts in the wild. My sexies live in my frogspawn and my flowerpot. My flowerpot HATES their little feet. So most likely they are just annoying the zoas, not eating them.

I had a couple of bad sexies in the past that would munch on the polyps of a birdsnest. If you don't feed them enough they will eat corals.

I still have three left, They behave most of the time, but if I miss a day of feeding they get pissed.

I've been lax on feeding, this is the DT, so only shrimps and snails. I've been trying to feed, but it's tough when all the corals look great, and nitrates are going down. 

Yeah, mine definitely munched some zoas. Hopefully the melanurus will get it when it goes back into the tank.

That's an expensive meal. I'd take the shrimp if I were closer to you.

I'd give it to you if you were closer, but I'd make you fish it out, and you might change your mind after you had to do that! I'm 6'2, and can stand on my tip toes and reach the bottom front of my tank... in the front/middle. There's a lot of hiding spots in the back, and a lot of frags glued about, I'd sooner chance it to lunch than a catching expedition.

Let the mantis take care of that pesky coral eating shrimp.

Rob is eager to get the mantis into my DT

Feed them some pellets, wait for them to come out, use a plastic tube and siphon them out. Worked for me, but I have a much smaller tank.

Feed them some pellets, wait for them to come out, use a plastic tube and siphon them out. Worked for me, but I have a much smaller tank.

Great idea. I can grab it on my frag rack next time it decides it's "hungry." Might move it down into my sump. Thanks!

My sexy shrimp eat all kind of birdsnest coral. They don't touch anything else but I lost 3 colonies to them. I have 5 in my tank and haven't been able to get them out. Good luck on pulling them out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol...mine keeps getting into the new overflow (I assume he's trying to get away from my flasher wrasse) but he's a bit big to be eaten..yet and I keep throwing him back in the tank. Haven't noticed anything getting munched in my tank as of yet...