my first saltwater tank

dante411x

And it seems that after months of trying, I'm finally getting everything done. This is the fish room as it looks right now, on the left is my empty qt tank. It's probably going to be replaced by a 40g frag tank sometime in the future. Placing it there will also make it super easy to tie it into my main system whenever I want. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good man. I wasn't sure how you planned to tie that all together, and now I get it. Looks nice.

Thanks man. Yeah, it's not finished 100% yet, there's still painting the wall and actually sealing it all in place but I've gotta have a conversation with my landlord before I make this a permanent structure.

But it is basically the final look of it.

You cleaned!!! looks great, I bet your girlfriend is thrilled!!

Now I know those walls can come down or you are going to have a little issue with maintenance.

Hahaha yeah I did! She was shocked to say the least! And the walls are all magnet mounted to the metal drywall framing behind them for now. I have access to big access panels for free... So if the conversation with landlord goes well and he wants to keep the tank (and make lots of months of rent free) then all the walls will get painted and get access panels in the everywhere once they get finished

• 2 months later...

So it seems that this build is wrapping up very quickly. Finally finished the aesthetic part of it all (you'd think I'd have done that way early!)

All the equipment is in place, just some small finishing touches and it's going to be time to sit back, invite some friends, open some beers and watch the fish!

Some of the latest pictures:

The tank, in it's finished stand with a door of sorts to the "fish room"

Posted Image

The frag tank, right behind that door.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Behind the scenes. This still needs some cleanup and care, but overall, now I have a hiding space in the house. Posted Image

I'm still waiting on your build thread by the way.

Yea, I am a Landscape Architect and this is busy season. Tons of client deadlines, new contracts, and unfortunately with 2 kids in travel soccer we have about 3-5 games a week and 8 practices total to get them to. Saturday's game is in VA Beach....there goes Sat. I just get to pop in and check on what everyone else is doing right now.

Project looks great, are you glad you switched it around? I think it looks better, you have more space to work in, and a doable work spot from behind. Congrats!

Yea, I am a Landscape Architect and this is busy season. Tons of client deadlines, new contracts, and unfortunately with 2 kids in travel soccer we have about 3-5 games a week and 8 practices total to get them to. Saturday's game is in VA Beach....there goes Sat. I just get to pop in and check on what everyone else is doing right now.

Project looks great, are you glad you switched it around? I think it looks better, you have more space to work in, and a doable work spot from behind. Congrats!

Fair enough. Life definitely can get busy, that's for sure.

Yeah, moving the tank was the best idea. it made everything so much easier. And even though I lost about 5x8' of living room space, it actually works better now.

Unfortunately, the one thing that's too true and I'm having a problem accepting is that this tank is too big for this house. I'm giving it a year maybe.. Maybe more before I have to move. But I should have gone with a 75-90 max.

Now I know better :)

Fair enough. Life definitely can get busy, that's for sure.

Yeah, moving the tank was the best idea. it made everything so much easier. And even though I lost about 5x8' of living room space, it actually works better now.

Unfortunately, the one thing that's too true and I'm having a problem accepting is that this tank is too big for this house. I'm giving it a year maybe.. Maybe more before I have to move. But I should have gone with a 75-90 max.

Now I know better :)

You just need to change the orientation of the couch from the TV to the tank! I think it looks great down there.

I also just noticed that you got rid of the "stacked rock wall along the back glass" look. I think it looks great and you will probably not think it is too big in another month or two. By the way, when you do move you do realize that reef code states that you have to "double the size of your tank". Not making it up, check the manual. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How about an updated FTS?

Good idea! And I obviously follow this thread regularly...

Let's see.. This is the tank about 2 hours after the lights come on.

25d4e8.jpg

Have many others, let's see if my new image hosting process works first though.

Looks great! Frank, those are my old IT2080's, to give you some inclination of the LED's I was running on the 150 before.

Looks great! Frank, those are my old IT2080's, to give you some inclination of the LED's I was running on the 150 before.

Thanks Isaac, may have to give them a shot on the next tank.

(edited)

Here's some more! I've figured out how to post with image! Woohoo!

41cb23.jpg

296e2d.jpg

2f42db.jpg

5a2871.jpg

f9fd15.jpg

839dfa.jpg

aa8ee3.jpg

498cf4.jpg

Edited by dante411x

1- May be a mess behind the tank! but at least you can walk back there! Such a great idea, how did you think of that? :cool:

2- Love the redesign!  Less rock is better space for more coral.

3- My little boy has grown up! He is posting pictures! :clap: :tongue:

1- May be a mess behind the tank! but at least you can walk back there! Such a great idea, how did you think of that? :cool:

2- Love the redesign! Less rock is better space for more coral.

3- My little boy has grown up! He is posting pictures! :clap: :tongue:

Ken, the idea to move it... It was something special. There is a whole thread somewhere with a bunch of very qualified people telling me not to move the thing. I didn't listen. Probably took a huge risk, but it was certainly worth it :)