Vertex Omega 130 Protein Skimmer

londonloco

My current chinese knockoff ps is not as quiet as I'd like, I'm considering buying on of these for my tank (60g display, 20g sump, so about 80 gallons in total) today, from BRS to save 120$.  I've read they have fixed the impeller problem.  With most items, a google search has "I love it" and "not again" reviews.  I do like the zeovit reactor I have on my tank, def a solid built reactor.  The 150 version seems huge for my size tank.  Anyone have any comments on the Vertex 130, specifically noise and skimmate production?  Thanks all.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply, good point, anyone have any thoughts on the Omega 150? it's been out since 2012 I think...this is same model, just smaller. 

Edited by londonloco

Get em now on Brs until  midnight hurry !! the 150 is 150 off (249.99) and the 130 is 120 off (199.99) just ordered my 150

Edited by fscbishop

Great, it will be interesting to see how we all like it.  I'm sure the construction quality will be good, but on performance there are mixed reviews. 

Edited by londonloco

Well I just un boxed my 150 and the pump nozzle is broke as well as the ozone hose and silencer hose. Called brs and they will send me a new nozzle. Then after more inspection just realized they sent me the wrong pump! They sent me the smaller v 130 instead of the v150. Not getting off to a good start vertex! Emailed brs back and hopefully they send me the proper pump or if we'll send this thing back for my refund

Edited by fscbishop

(edited)

Utoh, better go look at mine.  It's been sitting in it's box waiting for me to find the time to check it out.  I'm sure BRS will make good on this bad deal. 

Edited by londonloco

Utoh, better go look at mine. It's been sitting in it's box waiting for me to find the time to check it out. I'm sure BRS will make good on this bad deal.

Hmmmm my 150 still in a box too...suppose i better open it tomorrow too to see what all is going on with mine

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Hopefully I'll get time to deal with this ps today.  I thought I'd do a small wc, put the om130 in a 5g bucket with the old wc water and let it run for 24 hours without the collection cup (as suggested in the directions), then plop it in my tank.  How did everyone else do it?

Doesn't seem like this skimmer is off to a good start...

well the skimmer itself as far as productivity goes is supposed to be amazing....that said the packaging seems to be lacking all over the web...seems there is always something wrong or broken...that being said BRS seems like they have been on top of the game with making it right , as usual. 

I have the right pump.. At least lol...

The biggest issue I see is with the packaging.. Inside the box itself all the items seem to just be thrown in isn't between 2 foam compartments.. I would say for a 400$ skimmer they would create a more secure package.. The way it's all in there the pump is like a wrecking ball and bashing up the volute since they aren't connected.

I was able to fix the ozone pipe myself with some acrylic glue from avast...

Now that my skimmer is broken in it is performing very well.. I'm getting pretty good skimmate out of it... 8 to 8.5" of water seems to be the magic wate height for optimal performance.. I had To build a skimmer stand.. No big.. It took a couple days for it to break in..

I was talking with justin from avast about trying to make this thing a recirc skimmer.. Lol I'm curious if I can accomplish this :-)

Edited by Mattiejay6