Going to Florida

Fireman12s

Hi Gang..

Next week I am planning to head to Florida around Miami to the Keys and enjoy the sun during the holiday break.  While I am there, I would like to do some snorkeling, and maybe bring back something for the tank  :laugh:   However.. I am not sure this is legal.. :ph34r:  I did look at the Florida "Fins and Feathers" site <---- *see link *   and it does not mention anything about the private collection of stuff, but only commercial :unsure:  (Not looking to do any business here)  Soooo.. does anyone else have any info, or done this before?  If so, can you send me some infos?  Thanks!  :scuba:

-B :cool:

Edited by Fireman12s

Hmmm,  Can you send a link to where you found it was illegal?  Like I said.. I am not going to take a thing if it is illegal (Used to work for the Natl Park Service)  So, I can't/won't do anything illegal...

What would you find in the keys that you would like to add as an addition to your tank....?

What would you find in the keys that you would like to add as an addition to your tank....?

Dunno.. ICH?  LOL..   No really.. maybe a Blenny or a goby or something along those lines..  If possible

-B :cool: 

Edited by Fireman12s

I researched this a bit. I'm pretty sure with a saltwater fishing license you can take 20 animals a day, 5 of any single species. There is a 2 day possesion limit (so 40, 10 of any species).Each polyp of zoanthids counts towards the total and you can also take ricordia. The florida dnr or whatever spells it out pretty clear on what you can and can't take and how much. Also make sure where ever you do your collection isn't a protected area. Also def. No hard coral or live rock, and there can't be any live rock connected to what you collect and you can't destroy live rock to collect anything.

Oh yeah you also can't sell or trade whatever you collect.

Edited by sparker

Photosynthetic gorgs would be a good thing to scoop up.

Also, I think there was another thread here or somewhere else that talked about contacting local fishing and wildlife before you get started...then they know what you're up to and if anyone from the service approaches you on location you can reference calling and speaking to so-and-so who told you such-and-such was ok and not-ok and you've only got ___ which is ok

blah blah...be careful...walk lightly, don't squish something pretty or get put in jail :-)