T5 vs. MH

Folta

That is true.

If I were to do:

2 GE 6500 bulbs ($12 each)

2 Pure Actinic 03 ($31 each)

2 Aquablue Plus ($28 each)

2 Actinic/Blue Plus ($27 each)

That would be : $244 per fixture. Two fixtures, so $488 per replacing each set of bulbs. Not to mention the initial bulb purchase!

Would 2 6-light fixtures work over a 180?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a total of 8 bulbs over mine (5'ers) and they are a lot of light.

I honetstly thing you should consider the 5'ers Folta. 8 Gives you great coverage... And I would do DIY as opposed to a predone unit, but my 2 cents.

As for that ebay lgith... It can't be 6' (only 5') NO one makes a T5 6' bulb (it would probably break anyway.

Dave

Yowzers - I just checked that link, smells to high heaven

The unit is 72 inches long and runs 8 80 watt T5 HO high output bulbs.

:lol: Either we have an entirely new bulb......or....that's a 57.5" 80w bulb with 14.5" of "extra" added on to the fixture.

Unit Can be modified in length per request- we have a 60 inch 8 X 54

:lol: see above - 45.75" bulbs

Seems to me they're just "adding" numbers to get to the standard tank lengths - I wouldn't go near these folks.

I remember your tank Dave, and it defintely was very nice. I was hoping to get a pre-made fixture of some sort because I want the finished look, and was hoping for the TEK one because they have individual reflectors.

But if I do go with 5' bulbs, I can still buy the TEK individual reflectors (retrofit), correct? I guess I could fashion my own fixture to put them in... hmm...

I have a total of 8 bulbs over mine (5'ers) and they are a lot of light.

I honetstly thing you should consider the 5'ers Folta. 8 Gives you great coverage... And I would do DIY as opposed to a predone unit, but my 2 cents.

As for that ebay lgith... It can't be 6' (only 5') NO one makes a T5 6' bulb (it would probably break anyway.

Dave

47466[/snapback]

Tim (Folta),

Your tank has no hood? What abuot a stand? Is it standard?

I ask because there is no more finished look than the original hood that matches the original stand :)

Dave

IIRC you built the stand, right? If you can do that a DIY canopy should be simple, especially for T5s.

You want the open look? I'm thinking some dimensional lumber "edges" with a plywood top........a simple box.......then hang this from the ceiling? (use the mounts hanging Tek mount kits for a sleek look). Or build some legs for the box to sit on.

I can't imagine that the T5s won't cover the extra 7" on each side - even if not 100% it would be a place for some lower lighters like montis? (and with a bit of stagger?)

Guest Keyoke

You could get creative with a DIY. Those 180's are watt (pun intended), 72x24x24-ish, right?

So you could do something like,

2x 24" T5's on the left, spanning the width of the tank.

4x 36" T5's from left to center (running lengthwise)

4x 36" T5's from center to right, (running length wise)

2x 24" T5's on the right, spanning the width of the tank.

So that's what.. 12 lamps? ~50 watts on the edges, 312 in the middle..

Paint it candy-apple red, with purple ghost flames... ;)

I just bought a Tek t-5 hood. I know that the number of bulbs adds up, but there are two posittive outcomes on bulb replacement:

1. You can stagger the bulb replacement so that you don't shock your tank the way a single source replacement would - I have pendants on a second tank so at least I have options. If it's in a hood, you don't have that control.So that's a key win.

2. By staggering the replacement, you spread out set the overall expenditure.

That seems like a double win to me.

And if a specific bulb is on special you can buy 1 or 2 to have in advance, a benefit in case one mysteriously blows.

FF

Ok, was just thinking... if I go with the 5' setup, that would leave 6 inches on either side.... I could then put some lower light corals on the far sides (like mushrooms).. or do you guys think that would look funny?

That is, if there even is a 60" tek fixture...

I think it would be fine, I used to run a 36" tank w/ a single MH - given a 2' spread for that left 6" on each end....wasn't noticable at all.

That is, if there even is a 60" tek fixture...

They make a retro 60", but I'm not sure there's a full 60" fixture.

Guest Yomeister66
From what I've read (& yes all 30 some pages of the T5 Q&A)

Erik,

Where did you find those T5 Q&A?

On Pricing:

Specialty Lights has T5 Geissman 11,000k bulbs @ 20/each with free shipping if the order is over $50. THIS IS A DEAL and will change some of the economics being thrown around on this thread.

They are good to work with. I hope they get a new source if individual reflectors. They are working on a source now.

My Sunlight Supply version came with individual reflectors. The only real downside is the electrical cable comes out on the end. Check out the image @ here

I do not know why they do this. I have to move the electric cable in order to put it in my canopy. :66:

I got the 6x54w retro setup for my canopy. Individual reflectors, individual end caps with standoffs, all wirinig and upgraded two of the three ballasts to a single IceCap 660 ballast. Reefgeek My setup is like that in this link but not with the IC 430 ballast, I kept the Sunlight ballast, this link is a new version of the retro kit.

I just added two pieces of wood to my Oceanic canopy. Works great and totally customizable to endcap placement and wiring. I don't have a pic online, but could added it when I get home this afternoon if anyone wants it?

cr

I'm still contemplating what to do with the lighting.. I'm going back and forth on this. This weekend I was leaning more towards the MH's again.. and now I'm leaning back towards the T5's.

If I were to get (2) - 6 bulb 39w 36" Tek Fixtures, it would span the 6', look attractive, and put out a total of 468 watts. The 6 bulb fixtures are 15" wide, and the tank is 24" from front to back. Keep in mind that on the left side of the tank, my overflow sticks out from the back wall about 6 or 7". I do not plan to have a lot of rock in this setup, giving it a lower look (no rock against the sides or back, no 'rock wall', just a nice curve with a few caves).

My first question is this: Will 468 watts of T5 bulbs be enough lighting to have sps grow well? Obviously this takes into account several things... what bulbs I use, how many of each type, as well as the fact that this is 468 watts over a 6' span, unlike having something directly under a MH bulb. I currently have 500 watts (2x 250w) MH over my 55, and things seem to be growing nicely. Will the 32 watt hit prove to be too much when spread out?

I'm also looking into tracking down the 8 bulb fixtures, which would add 4" more to the total width (19"). This would mean some overlap on my overflow (and thats even if I have the lights pushed all the way to the front, which I assume I actually would have them set in about an inch or two).

Argh, so many choices!

:wall: :wall: :wall:

A quick statement about T5s:

Any comment about watts/gal goes out the window, its all about the PAR. Check out the par testing being done in the club and the T5 setups.

Read the RC threads or contact a very knowledgeable person on RC regarding this - TheGrimReefer. He has tested many different setup/bulbs for both T5 and MH.

Ok, I've made my decision. I'm going to try out t5's.

part of the reason is from this thread: Coral Growth Under T5's

- Amazing growth in the pictures people provided (of course there are other factors, but this thread shows that the lighting in a 6 bulb fixture is enough for corals to grow really well).

Second factor, is that for the MH's that I planned to get it would come to a total of $1027.00, and that is before mounting (would have to build a canopy, which I don't want to have, or get brackets, etc), compared to around $700 for a pair of 36" tek fixtures with 12 bulbs.

What I need help with still, is the bulb choices.

#

Blue Actinic Plus or Blue: 39 watt 36 inch-$18.00 per lamp

Sun: 39 watt 36 inch-$18.00 per lamp

Aquablue: 39 watt 36 inch-$19.00 per lamp

Pure Actinic Plus or True Actinic: 39 watt 36 inch-$21.50 per lamp

Could someone help me figure out a good configuration for the 6 bulb fixtures? I'm going for a 'white with a very slight blue tint', with hopefully some fluourescing.

For example:

Front

Sun

Aquablue

Pureactinic

Sun

Aquablue

Pureactinic

Back

-- or --

Front

Aquablue

Aquablue

Sun

Sun

Aquablue

Aquablue

Back

At this point, I really have no idea what bulbs will give me the color I want.

And the last point that made me decide on the t5's : If I get them and don't like them, the Tek Fixture will be easier to sell than put together MH's.

:)

Comments from a MH user:

If I were to do:

2 GE 6500 bulbs ($12 each)

2 Pure Actinic 03 ($31 each)

2 Aquablue Plus ($28 each)

2 Actinic/Blue Plus ($27 each)

That would be : $244 per fixture. Two fixtures, so $488 per replacing each set of bulbs. Not to mention the initial bulb purchase!

Would 2 6-light fixtures work over a 180?

For a 180g setup, you could go with 3 Chinese 400w at $40.00 = $120.00

3 x"Icecap like" ballast from same place for $95.00 = $285.00

3 x Spider Reflectors for about the same amount and ONLY cost you $120.00 when time for the replacements. Long run, cheaper bulbs.

-Your still needing fans

#2 T5 set lower on the water which DOES give you higher PAR readings so that could be a plus, but needed to be protected behind plastic that will be covered soon by salt spray, hence loosing quality very fast IMO!

#3 I like the shimmie! :D

Comments from a MH user:

For a 180g setup, you could go with 3 Chinese 400w at $40.00 = $120.00

3 x"Icecap like" ballast from same place for $95.00 = $285.00

3 x Spider Reflectors for about the same amount and ONLY cost you $120.00 when time for the replacements. Long run, cheaper bulbs.

-Your still needing fans

Comments from a T5 user:

You're forgetting the cost of running this stuff (1200W MH vs ~500W T5).... Hmmm wonder which is going to be cheaper in the long run there :P

Folta... In terms of bulb selection... are the fixutres single switched or doubled or trippled (i.e. how many bulbs can you can control).

Dave

Guest Keyoke

Well FWIW, I decied to go T5 as well. I ordered the Current SlimPAQ lights from Champion.. these are the single bulb/ballast deals that run about $28 each.. (I know, I know.. the cheapskate gene won out. My wife talked me into buying a 37" LCD TV, so my budget got shot...)

I've got 6 48" bulbs over my 90 now.. (well 5, one of them didn't make it in shipping, waiting on the replacement) and all I can say is 'wow'. It looks a lot better than the 4x 55W PCs I was using, and the quality of the light seems to be a lot better to boot.

I'm going to need to figure out a way to get a reflector in behind those bulbs as I'm loosing a lot of the light out the sides. There's a good inch of clearance between the bulbs and the balast/electronics bit, so I should be able to slip something in there to help direct/capture the wasted light... all in all I'm pretty pleased with it. I'll post pics after I get back from the holidays for those interested. For $28 a peice, it's not a bad deal at all.

Well FWIW, I decied to go T5 as well. I ordered the Current SlimPAQ lights from Champion.. these are the single bulb/ballast deals that run about $28 each..

48113[/snapback]

Keyoke,

Are these the 48" NO output ones at 28 watts per bulb? A High Output (HO) 48" bulb has 54 watts, double+ the output. Put these on an IceCap ballast and it will drive them to around 80 watts.

Folta,

I have a 6 bulb config as the following. It gives a white-blue look. If I put the ATI 6000k sun bulb in I think it gets too yellow. I have not tried the GE sun @ 6500k, not supposed to be as yellow and has the highest PAR of the bulbs. Many people skip the T5 Actinic bulbs (users say not a true actinic). With an IceCap ballast you can run a VHO Actinic in the mix. A visual thing at that point.

Timing........9am..10..11..12...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10pm

(X=Light on, *=IceCap 660 ballast, 2 fans on)-Two timmers for all

Front

Aquablue....XXXXXXXXX.........XXXXXX..........XXXXXXXXXXX

*Blue Plus...................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

*Aquablue...................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

*Blue Plus...................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

*Aquablue...................XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Blue Plus....XXXXXXXXX.........XXXXXX...........XXXXXXXXXXX

Back

As far as bulb placement I'd stick the suns more to the back; and the better eye candy bulbs toward the front something like this.

FRONT

11KK aquablue

Blue plus

Sun

11KK aquablue

Sun

11KK aquablue

BACK

That's if you really want to use 2 suns. I'd prefer the following even more

FRONT

11KK aquablue

Blue plus

11KK aquablue

11KK aquablue

Sun

11KK aquablue

BACK

The guy in the growth thread above uses

FRONT

Blue Plus

Aqua Blue

Blue Plus

Aqua Blue

Aqua Blue

Blue plus

BACK

On his 75 with great looks & growth. Similar to rioreef's.

What do the different bulbs rate as, if they were considered in terms of kelvin...

what I mean is, in MH you chouse 10,000k, 14,000k, 20,000k....

aquablue = 20,000K?

blueplus = 20,000k?

etc?