T5 vs. MH

Folta

Ok if it were me (and double switched) I would do:

2 x Blue Plus & and AquaBlue on 1 swtich and 1 AquaBlue & 2 Sun on the other swtich (assumign a 6 bulb setup).

As for ratings:

Sun 6500K or 6000K (depending onATI vs GE)

Aquablue is like 11000K bulb

Actinic (not sure these are measured that way)

The Blue Plus would be closer to a 20000K bulb

Dave

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm not sure I quite follow how many of each bulb type... I want the left and right sides to be the same.

So...

Front

Blueplus

Aquablue

Blueplus

Aquablue

Sun

Aquablue

Back?

So 3 aqua blue bulbs, 2 blue plus bulbs, and 1 sun bulb per fixture?

Ok, I placed my order. I got the following:

(2) Tek Fixtures, 39w 36" 6-bulb @ $280.95 each............................. $561.90

(6) Geiseman Aquablue t5 39w 36" bulbs @ $17.83 each................... $106.95

(4) Geiseman Blue Plus t5 39w 36" bulbs @ $18.00 each................... $72.00

(2) Geiseman Sun t5 39w 36" bulbs @ $18.00 each........................... $36.00

(1) Shipping: FREE

Total Cost: $776.85.

This is about $250 less than the MH that I would have gone with, so I'm happy about that. I also like the fact that I'll be able to fool around with bulbs until I get the color and placement that I want.

I've ordered this stuff from Seeds Etc, a seemingly small company. I spoke with them on the phone over the course of the week. Very polite, and took the time with me to discuss the bulbs, including showing me the spectragraphs on their website. He also told me that if I ever need to buy 4 or more 'cases' (6 bulbs I believe is considered a case, hence the slightly lower price on the aquablue bulbs). I told him about being a member of wamas, and that we just might be taking him up on that offer in the future.

We'll see how the order works out, as these seem to be great prices on these fixtures and bulbs. :D

[i am looking at the very same system for my 75g, please keep us posted on how you like it.

quote=Folta,Dec 21 2005, 07:11 PM]

Ok, I placed my order. I got the following:

(2) Tek Fixtures, 39w 36" 6-bulb @ $280.95 each............................. $561.90

(6) Geiseman Aquablue t5 39w 36" bulbs @ $17.83 each................... $106.95

(4) Geiseman Blue Plus t5 39w 36" bulbs @ $18.00 each................... $72.00

(2) Geiseman Sun t5 39w 36" bulbs @ $18.00 each........................... $36.00

(1) Shipping: FREE

Total Cost: $776.85.

This is about $250 less than the MH that I would have gone with, so I'm happy about that. I also like the fact that I'll be able to fool around with bulbs until I get the color and placement that I want.

I've ordered this stuff from Seeds Etc, a seemingly small company. I spoke with them on the phone over the course of the week. Very polite, and took the time with me to discuss the bulbs, including showing me the spectragraphs on their website. He also told me that if I ever need to buy 4 or more 'cases' (6 bulbs I believe is considered a case, hence the slightly lower price on the aquablue bulbs). I told him about being a member of wamas, and that we just might be taking him up on that offer in the future.

We'll see how the order works out, as these seem to be great prices on these fixtures and bulbs. :D

48200[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on my T5 story:

My icecap 430 died (maybe just a blown fuse, but I just received two children into my house and have not had the cycles to investigate the problem) and I put my new 2 T5 54 watt system in place as a temporary replacement. The 430 drives 3 110 Watt VHO bulbs.

The 2 bulb T5 system is just about as bright as the 3 VHO Icecap system. This is off course anecdotal, as I do not have a PAR meter. But even with placement being less than ideal (the 3 VHO bulbs are in place, and the T5 system is in the front of the 55 gallon tank. Did I mention a 5 and 6 year old just showed up?), the light is excellent.

Now think about this: near the same light from 108 watts of T5 light vs 330 watts of VHO. The ballast in the T5 system does not overdrive the T5s.

I just bought an IceCap 660 on e-bay. I will be able to add 2 of the VHOs back to the T5 system and overdrive the T5s once it arrives. Hopefully, the 430 will be fixable and I will have more options. :lol: