Clowns and Anemone

abrink

I recently added a GBTA to my tank to compliment my 2 clowns.  In the past i have either had clowns that went to the nem right away, and other times where I could never get the clowns to hang out in the nem.  In the past it usually goes one way or the other without me being able to fully encourage clowns to try out the anemone. The clowns have not given the nem much notice yet.

I know there are several theories out there on this!  In the past I have put food in the anemone to coax the clowns to go into it, and I have done the pictures on the side of the tank.

Any opinions or advice on this?

It'll happen, or it won't. That's my opinion :tongue:

I would keep feeding around it. My clowns (ORA) took right to my nem before I was able to try and get it to attach to a rock. Always thought that was fun. In my smaller tank, they would host several different nems, as well as my aussie elegance. Now in my big tank, they are pretty comfy with the RBTA, and I don't think they have even ventured to the other side of the tank. 

We have several different clowns (regular Ocellaris, Picassos, and Black Snowflakes) the only ones that we were able to get to host in ours is the Picassos as you can see in my profile pic. No idea as to why some will and others won't. Good luck!

There's an actual book out there that lists all the different types of clownfish and their typical host anemones. I believe it's callled

"Damselfishes of the World" by Gerald Allen.

There's another by Joyce Wilkerson but it's hard to find and geared more to breeding.

Try to find a picture on the internet of a clown inside an anemone and tape it to the tank. The clowns normally copy what they see and go in the anemone in a few weeks, sometimes within days.

http://www.saltytank.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2926

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/anemoneclownfishprofiles/tp/tpclownanemonematches.htm