Baby snapping shrimp?

flooddc

I found this hitchhiker in rock of corals I got today. Was going to dump out the water and notice something moving. Sucker bit me (did not hurt) when I tried to scoop it with my hand.

Snap a few pics to get a positive ID.

Appears to to a baby snapping/pistol shrimp. It about 1/2" long; greenish and clear body with stripe; 1 large and one tiny snappers.

Whatever it is, I released it into my refugium. Hope to see it grow up :laugh:  in there.

IMG 0962

definitely a pistol shrimp- look at that massive claw.

Found this online: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/09/a-shrimp-is-one-of-the-loudest-animals-on-the-planet/

3rd pics looks exactly like it. I guessed I'll be hear loud noises from the sump from now on. 

hmm! Now I need to find a hitchhiker baby goby for it :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: .

I had a bunch of those sneak in with my Florida Live Rock. That pistol shrimp is almost full grown and that is their final coloration. Mine hide in the rock and I rarely, if ever, see them, but I hear them all the time. It won't pair up with any goby. 

It's soooooo flufffffyyyyyyyy!

And tiny and cute all snappy snap snap shrimpy! Awesome save!

Yup! I brought it up to the kitchen to show my kids and told them it could be a lobster. 

First things out of my 8 years old daughter was "don't cook it, dad!"  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Wow. Possible for this shrimp to successfully spawn in a home aquarium? What are their breeding habits? Must be a pair?

It's possible! but pretty sure he didn't have any shrimps in his tank where I got the corals/rock from. 

I had a bunch of those sneak in with my Florida Live Rock. That pistol shrimp is almost full grown and that is their final coloration. Mine hide in the rock and I rarely, if ever, see them, but I hear them all the time. It won't pair up with any goby. 

how long does it takes to color up! hope I'll see it from time to time in the 70G refuge!

Quick, setup a pico for it!

My wife will cook me along with the baby shrimp  :laugh: !