Yes another topic lol. Chaeto question and other questions.

Joshifer

Sorry for another topic. You guys must hate me by now lol.

Ok so someone on here told me regular filters with carbon in them become a nitrate problem

Sooooooooo.

What if I took this large size filter out. Stuck some chaeto and a little led light in there?

Maybe cut a acrylic sheet to size. Drill holes. Stuff it with filter floss. And in the other end chaeto + LED light?

All thoughts comments and ideas are widely welcomed. :D

Also. Not now maybe in a week or two. Would I be able to add one more small fish ? I like damsels but they'll kill nemo ;( maybe a goby or something idk you guys know more then me. Or am I pushing it with one clown.

One does not really replace the other. They address different things.

Granular Activated Carbon, also referred to as GAC sometimes, has tiny, tiny cracks (fractures) in it that attract and hold hydrocarbons (organic compounds), some of which aren't easy skimmed out. Typically, these organics in this form are not taken up by macroalgae (in this case, Chaetomorpha), but may pile up awaiting breakdown by bacteria (if they can do it), export via water changes, or uptake by GAC.

Chaeto is used to lock up nitrates and phosphates which are basically fertilizer for plants. (While GAC can have some effect on removing ammonia, it's primary day-to-day use is normally not directed at that.)

The concern for GAC is that it may get clogged with detritus in low flow situations which may fuel bacterial decomposition and nitrates. Two keys to using GAC: Keep the material clean and free of detritus build up by changing out / cleaning pads or using a reactor that has enough flow to suspend and remove detritus (but not so much that it abrades into dust), and changing it out often enough that it's actually doing a useful job for you (that is, capturing those organics that don't skim out easily.