Kalk stirrer died

DCReefer1964

Not to put food in their mouth, but at the build party I learned that the top is typically sealed with a hot glue gun.  So you should be able to use a hair dryer or heat gun to remove it.  I'd just hold it upside down with the heat on until the top falls off. 

edit: 

Seperate the top from the rest of the unit first, of course. 

Edited by Integral9

I don't know what motor is in the housing but, over the years, I've had to put a drop of light oil on the shaft of my Deltec Kalk stirrer to keep it turning smoothly. I do this from the opposite end of where the stirrer rod is attached, of course. So, if you're able to get inside by removing the top and the motor shaft is visible, this may help keep things running well for years to come.

Yes, replacing the motor is fairly straightforward, as long as you have a heat gun.  As Integral9 mentioned above, use a heat gun to warm the glue holding the lid on.  After a minute or two, you can pry it off to access the motor.  To put it back on, just reheat the glue again with the heat gun, then press and twist the lid into place.

This is the replacement motor:

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/replacement-parts/Replacement-Motor-Kalk-Stirrer