What's in my skimmer?

Djplus1

So, I'm cycling a frag tank right now. Bare bottom, two huge pieces of dead dry rock. Seeded with maybe 1/2 lb of live rock from another tank. I have been running my skimmer during the cycle as I cleaned everything with vinegar (tank, skimmer, pumps) to get all of the nasties out. And I want to make sure it gets broken in properly after the cleaning.

My question is, if I don't have anything in the tank really, what is filling up in my skimmer cup? It's definitely dark gunk. It's not alot, but it's there.

Edited by Djplus1

Could be junk from the live rock, debris from the dry rock, remains of bacteria in the water, trace elements from the salt mixture, dust and stuff in the air that settled into the tank, and oranics from the salt mix. Have the lights been running? It could be micro algae.

Could be junk from the live rock, debris from the dry rock, remains of bacteria in the water, trace elements from the salt mixture, dust and stuff in the air that settled into the tank, and oranics from the salt mix. Have the lights been running? It could be micro algae.

I was going to say what was left on the rock when it dried out, but Dave said it better :)

I was going to say bubbles, but Dave said it better as well.

i was going to say "you know ish in the tank" but dave said it better.