Red Slime Algae/Cyanobacteria

rebekwl

So all of the sudden, we come back from vacation on Sunday and have a small amount of "red algae" on the sand, etc. Today it is every where!!  I have a hard time believing it has anything to do with nitrates or phosphates since we haven't had any fish in the tank for 3 weeks!!  Does anyone have any suggestions On how to get rid of this stuff??

did you have an auto feed on while on vacation? or someone over feed your fish?

Cyano is pretty easy to control. I discovered it when I got a power out for 3 days. 

Just go dark for 36 hours  and it will goes away. Also cut back a bit on feeding and back to normal feeding once you got it under control.  

It's crazy that the lights have been out for a matter of a few hours and it already look s better.  We did replace our lighting recently so I think that has a lot to do with it.  Right now we don't have any fish in the tank so not feeding much at all, we were only gone for 4 days so didn't have the tank fed at all so idk where this stuff came from. Crazy!

What was your lighting and what did you change to?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I don't think you'll like the answer, I believe it's an it2080... get ready for some blue pictures!

What was your lighting and what did you change to?

We had a single 150W MH and the new light is a It2080

Well you have to admit there are suddenly a crap load of posts from people that are switching to LEDS....if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck......

Lol....

We had a single 150W MH and the new light is a It2080

you probably have it on too high  :happy: ! those red LEDs! HATE them. Try reduced to 50%. I had no issue when I changed to LEDs on my 125G. These LEDs module are 50/50. When I replaced my 29G with a d120 (that comes with red and green LEDs). I had a major out break.

No cyno here, only when I cycled my tank, way before the leds