Camelcruiser's 300

Ok well I just bought a used 300 gallon and I plan on taking my time with this one because I am in no rush to get it started, but will eventually transfer my 180 into it. This one is going to be the most work I have had to do on a tank, I want to redo the stand as I need doors and it doesn't have them right now. I also want to buff the acrylic and figure out what to do with all the holes drilled in this thing, but here is the start.

post-2633496-0-50469900-1377206842_thumb.jpg

Now a list of the hardware. I am going to keep using my 5 AI sol blues as well as maybe 2 400 watt metal halides, I know it's overkill but if I stager the lights and turn the sols down I'm thinking it should work pretty well. I have a SWC S2 cone skimmer that is a beast I really like it and I think it's rated around 500 gallons. As far as flow goes I have 3 MP40's that will hopefully do the job.

Thanks, I think I'm going to start on some stuff tomorrow with the stand and maybe buff the tank.

Have you started the buffing yet ?

Will you build a new stand.   Best of luck.  Just finished for a 67 gal build and it was a lot work.  300 gal, I feel for ya!  Good luck and happy building!  Keep us updated!

Have you started the buffing yet ?

Nope not yet ended up working Saturday last week and got an emergency call from work Sunday evening but this weekend I'm off for sure so I will be doing a ton of stuff. Hopefully get most of the stand done and start buffing.

Will you build a new stand.   Best of luck.  Just finished for a 67 gal build and it was a lot work.  300 gal, I feel for ya!  Good luck and happy building!  Keep us updated!

Thanks, hopefully it's not going to be to bad I'm going to rebuild the current stand because it doesn't have doors and I need them. The previous stand was made of granite tiles but my dad had a bunch of extra airstone I might use instead of these when I put it back together.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got a little bit of time and started on the stand I did one side in the airstone and left the tile to see which one I liked better. The wife likes the airstone so that might be what wins out.

post-2633496-0-96587000-1378645443_thumb.jpg

Well I finally got a little bit of time and started on the stand I did one side in the airstone and left the tile to see which one I liked better. The wife likes the airstone so that might be what wins out.

What did mama say about the mess on her floor ?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got caught up with the stand this weekend and missed out on the sump I wanted, but atleast I got a bunch done on the stand. I am going to start the buffing tomorrow....I'm charging about 10 18 volt batteries tonight to prepare. Here's a pic of the new stand.

post-2633496-0-12179700-1379370312_thumb.jpg

can't really tell on my phone but looks like durock behind the stone work? nice!

have you doing repair or buffing of acrylic before? what's the plan and what products are you going to use?

Yea it is durock I wish I knew how much of a pain it was to cut and fit before I started. I think that's been the hardest part of the stand....until I realized they make a special blade for cutting it, went through 6 blades in 1 hour. The buffing I haven't done before but plan on using 400, 800, 1000, then 1500 grit sandpaper but haven't decided on a compound just yet. I should be able to go to an autobody store and pick something up..will probably do that on the way home from work tomorrow.