Live Rock Needed

luceneck

Hello everybody,

I am new to the reef keeping hobby, and this group.  What I wanted to know was where everyone got their live rock?  I live in the DC metropolitan area and have been having a hard time finding live rock at a reasonable price online.  If anyone knows of a good site, or is interested in selling some, please let me know!!

The reeftank has the best local prices, and rock IMO- unless you can wait until our next meeting in April (then you can get Dr. Mac to bring it for you).  If you are willing to drive to b-more, then you could probably meet him at the airport......

M

Thanks for the reply,

I checked online for the reeftank, but I'm not sure if I could find it.  In which city is it located?  Tell me more about Dr. Mac.

Guest Kimo

Welcome to the club!

The Reef Tank is located in Fairfax, VA.  It's site is www.reefstore.com

Mike and Grimm (the owners) are great guys and they will try to help you out if you ask.  Their live rock prices are great.  IT's best to find out when the next shipment of rock is coming in and get there when it does - Maybe they can arrange to meet you at the airport or something, if you want a whole box.

Dr. Mac is a semi-local vendor who coms to our meetings - He has great livestock, great service and great rock.  His site is

www.drmaccorals.com

Good luck!

Jamie

I must admit,  you guys are really helpful.  I do appreciate the responces to my post.  Does anyone use the Plenum method for their substrate?  I was considering using it as just a backup but various places have said that it isn't really necessary if you have LS + LR + and a Protein skimmer.  Anyone have input on their method?

I bought most of my rock (Marshall Islands) from these folks and a small bit from the Reef Tank.

http://www.oceanlife-int.com/

It's $2/lb., but it is pretty bare and definitely cured.  Don't expect any hitchikers with these rocks.  Shipping is pretty reasonable too if you have it shipped air freight.  The airlines will charge you for a min. of 100 lbs., but that's like ~$50.  If you get more than 100 lbs. it is still comparably cheap.  Also you should call them if you order, they will ask you what kind of sizes, shapes and etc. you want.

Guest GladysP

I am breaking my 155 gallon tank and have tons of it.  My tank is well stablished and have some cool shape rocks.  Contact me if you are interested.  I am located in Centreville.

Gladys

I am definetly interested. :D  

Let me know:

Where you got it from?

How much you are willing to part with, and cost?

Thank you for looking and replying, it's always nice to get encouragement when your just starting out!

i recently picked up 150 lbs from Dr. Mac (met them at BWI) and could not have been happier with the process - price is hard to beat when you take the shipping cost out

Guest reef noob
i recently tore down  a 55gallon tank of mine and have about 75 pounds of LR. it doesnt have a whole lot of life but with a kalk drip it would come back to life im sure. it does however have lots of worms and stuff in it.i watch them come out at night but im not sure what they are called.i would let it go for 75$ or trade for a 96w quad.i purchased it from drsfostersmith