Mousepad under pump

steveoutlaw

Go to Bed Bath and Beyond and get a roll of non-adhesive drawer/shelf liner. Comes in a few different kinds...works great. You can cut it to any size you like...

Don't see how a mousepad could be harmfull....but I'm really happy with the liner I put in my cabinet--under my sump and all of my pumps, etc...

I've seen pumps w/ a dab of silly con :blink: under each corner of the pump. Just use some quarters in the center to shim it up while the silly con cures. You'd need to set it up on a smooth surface & pry it off w/ a razor blade when done.

I use PolyFilters! It quites and absorbs bad stuff. Works great and is SAFE!

Signed,

PolyFilter guy ( and I do not get any comp for this :angry: )

Do you put water in the siplock bag so that it sinks? Seems like the sand would get funky w/ water being trapped in the bag.

If it has holes in it, you'd basically be creating a nitrate sponge in that anaerobic bacteria would grow in there. I would think that with the threat of a bag full of methane under an electrical current it would be a bad idea to use the bag of sand... I think that even if there's no hole in it when you add it, it could still gain a hole from various critters in your tank, normal wear and tear, and a rattling pump sitting on top of it.

Can I put a mousepad under a pump that is in my sump?  Wasn't sure if there was anything that would deteriorate and hurt my corals or fishies.

44728[/snapback]

I use plastic bubble wrap. Haven't noticed any bad side effects after a year +.

I believe Khan "Bendalat" had his Mag pump wrapped in bubble wrap, actually allowed it to flow in the middle of the tank and was very quite!

Howard

Mag Pumps come with a foam pad that is sticky on one side- similar to a mouse pad- As Uni said, I would be cautious with just any material that might break down over time and or leach chemicals. The bubble wrap sounds like a good material though. The dry sand sounds a bit like a problem waiting to happen.