SPS looking paler each week, what can I do?

Curtis Scott

I have a mostly SPS tank that is getting pretty good growth with my LEDs I installed about 6 months ago.

Lately I have noticed my corals are looking paler than usual though. All parameters are normal. I run a little rowaphos, chemi pure elite and grow chaeto along with a skimmer for filtration. I'm thinking about starting a feeding regiment for my corals and hope this will help. Someone also suggested to consider increasing my bio load by add a couple of other small-med sized fish. 

Any advice you can offer would be awesome!

What are your parameters specifically ALK....Calcium might as well throw any others up

did you recently switch to leds, several have had issues at first switch

edit:

what is your photoperiod??

Edited by Der ABT

(edited)

What are your parameters specifically ALK....Calcium might as well throw any others up

did you recently switch to leds, several have had issues at first switch

edit:

what is your photoperiod??

[ I does these two twice a day 12am(a) 2am© and 12pm(a) 2pm© ]

Alk ranges from 8.6 to 9.3dkh (salifert test kit)  controlled by BRS dosing pump and I use B-Ionic 2 Part to dose with.

Cal ranges from 440 - 470ppm (salifert test kit) controlled by BRS dosing pump and I use B-Ionic 2 Part to dose with.

Ph - 8.2 (salifert)

Nitrate - 0ppm (salifert)

Phosphate - 0ppm (Hanna Low Phos Checker)

Salinity - 1.026ppm

Mag - 1380ppm (salifert test)

Switched about 6months ago during the time I was battling cyano and even had bio pellets running along with what is mentioned above. I removed the pellets a couple weeks ago, but colors are not improving. 

I checked my PAR again today and I had 380-400 PAR at the top of the corals (about 8" from the water line) 

For day lights I was running lights at

blues 70% & White/color 40%

I just changed this down to 

blues 80% & White/color 30%

Now the PAR is about 340-350

Day lights are only on for 5hrs every day. 

Edited by Curtis Scott

5 hours may not be enough. I was giving mine only 6 hours and saw some pale colors. People kept telling me to lower my intensity. It was actually the opposite.... I increased the photoperiod (slowly) to 10 hours and upped the intensity a bit and my colors responded very well. I have a radion pro led light.

(edited)

water conditions seem fine. If you're not already feeding your corals, why aren't you? They don't live on photosynthesis alone.

Good point Rob. I guess I was being overly stingy to my tank with feeding because of the cyano. Will be slowly starting a feeding regiment. Thanks

How are you reading salinity.   Refractometer.  If so, check the calibration.

Yes, Refractometer. Just calibrated too, and pretty sure it's accurate, but I'll double check, can't hurt. Thanks

5 hours may not be enough. I was giving mine only 6 hours and saw some pale colors. People kept telling me to lower my intensity. It was actually the opposite.... I increased the photoperiod (slowly) to 10 hours and upped the intensity a bit and my colors responded very well. I have a radion pro led light.

Good point. I plan to increase the feeding and watch for improvements. I do feel like, by the looks of it, some of the sps could actually use more light. Some of them seem like they are just getting too much. Hoping the food will be enough to help more. I'll keep this mind too. Thanks

Oyster feast.

I have some and plan to add this to my rotating schedule to keep up a variety. Thanks

Edited by Curtis Scott