Hydroids on my Zoas

Tracy G

Anyone know how to treat? I have a ton of the, and need a solution. Can i dip to get rid of them? Looks like this not my pic but exactly what I have

Posted Image

Posted Image

They were not easy to get rid of for me. Manual removal outside the tank with tweezer or tooth brush or cover with super glue. You can frag a few clean zoas and start over.

You could try a fresh water dip. Zoas seem to handle them safely, don't know if it will kill the hydroids or not.

Tracy, I've heard of people doing a hydrogen peroxide dip mix before. Somebody on this thread mentions doing a 1:1 ratio, and using it for successfully killing bryopis. I don't know how your zoas will react, or if this is even a method that works, nor do i stand behind it... just saying, I've heard about it, and read about it...

Edited by YHSublime

Potassium permanganate could also be used as a dip to burn them off. The zoas will lose some color but will gain it back. It is sold as a water clarifier for ponds. It also works great as a dip for zoa and monti eating nubies.

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately they are everywhere.... Not just on my Zoas but they only seem to hurt them. I would hate to break down my tank and start over......

Sorry, but pretty much the only way I know of to remove them 100% is to re start the tank. Removing everything and letting it dry out or fresh water bath it long enough to kill it. You can try to manually remove it from plugs and pull the whole rack out to keep it under control but you will have to be watchful that it doesn't pop back up and spread again.

I have hydroids. Only a few now. I just kept weeding the garden constantly with tweezers and toothbrush and fingers. It's a lot of work but so nice to see most of them gone.

You can try kalk paste. Remove the rocks that are infested with them and paste it. Ive also read that a "blunt end sea hare" eats them away.

Good Luck!

I'm interested in hearing how the sea hare does. Keep us posted.

Will do. I just emptied most of my frag tank and upped the flow like crazy to see if that helps so water is moving great. Also kicked up a lot of Detritus so should help water quality. Did a 18% water change and wiped everything down good so I'm optimistic.

Posted Image

Your pictures aren't showing up for me.... is that the site or is it me? (It's only happening in this thread).