Sump as showtank

lmeyer

It occured to me today that my sump is getting to be as interesting as the show tank :)

Besides the macro refugia in the middle section, I've got a bunch of escapees in the section with the return. I already knew about the banggai cardinal and blue chromis that had taken refuge from bullying co-species in the display. How they knew to take the ride down the overflow I'll never know. Then there are the two pencil urchins I put down there when I got tired of their tendency to knock over corals.

Yesterday's discovery really got me though. I was looking around and found my missing female manadarin gobie. I hadn't seen her in so long I figured she was a goner. I guess I'll have to move her back sooner or later, but what a pain that will be. I've got about 40 lbs of smaller pieces of live rock in the section where she wound up. I think I'll have to remove it all to catch her. Still, she'll be better off in the display and I'll see her better.

Thats the problem with fish, they're never where you think they should be! :D

'couple weeks ago I was convinced that I had a starfish or pistol shrimp eating my cucumbers because I hadn't seen them in a while. I didn't think they died of natural causes -- I've had the cucumber for years and it's split into three in the meantime. Well... turns out I found the medium and small cukes in the fuge! Way to pay attention. Oy vey.

I read somewhere that Mandarine Gobies need to eat alot of copepods, & are noted to do well in a refugium where their food is readily available. Some food for thought before you remove it that it might be better off where it is.

Leaving the Mandarin in the refugium: What happens when the Mandarin depleets the copepods population in the refugium? Where will the copepods reproduce then? Will it better off to keep the Mandarin in the show tank and feed the copepods in the refugium to increase population, and feed the show tank with over population?

Leaving the Mandarin in the refugium:  What happens when the Mandarin depleets the copepods population in the refugium?  Where will the copepods reproduce then?  Will it better off to keep the Mandarin in the show tank and feed the copepods in the refugium to increase population, and feed the show tank with over population?

44508[/snapback]

There is about 40 lbs (guess) of rock in the sump. There is about 200 + lbs (guess) of rock in the show tank + a Deep Sand Bed + a pod pile. There is a good pod population in both, but if I had to guess, I'd say the population is more sustainable in the show tank. Not too worried about food, I kept a mandarin for three years before my cucumber poisoning disaster. This one has been in the tank for about a year. I actually think I'll be able to see her more consistently in the sump, but I don't want my kids running into the furnace room every time they want a peek at her.

lmeyer, any pictures on your sump with all the livestock?  just wondering cause I had my percullia clown in my sump for a while and he was doing great then.

44498[/snapback]

Tried to take a couple, but they didn't come out real well. Will try again. Also tried to attach the ones I took to this message but couldn't figure out how. Will try that again also.