Onyx by Rapid LED reviews?

SaltLife

I understand that these are still fairly new to the market. I'm contemplating two dimmable onyxs for my 75g tank which will be a sps dominant tank. I like the price and how easy it is, just plug and play, i have done the diy route and don't feel like that again.

So any experiance with these or input?

They came to talk and demo to the freshwater planted club recently.  Their fixtures are fully customizable and easy to put together.  I think they're a good deal.

i like their size and how clean they are. the 0-10v is nice too for those with controllers. performance is probably great as well given their history and selection of LEDs. you can definitely do the same with evergrows at much cheaper but i think these look nicer - don't know how much that means to you. g'luck no matter who end up getting!

I have definitly considered the evergrows but I have an apex and would really like to utilize it. I know some members around here have been working on making the two compatable with each other and maybe by the time I shoot the trigger on some lights it will be ready but as of now its not ready.

Do the number of leds seem low to anyone? Of course before I had 72 and they weren't ramped up to 100% either.

I have definitly considered the evergrows but I have an apex and would really like to utilize it. I know some members around here have been working on making the two compatable with each other and maybe by the time I shoot the trigger on some lights it will be ready but as of now its not ready.

Do the number of leds seem low to anyone? Of course before I had 72 and they weren't ramped up to 100% either.

Honestly, I was glad I did not need the Apex to run the Reefbreeders/Evergrow. It's already controllable. The only reason I have it hooked up to my Apex is to turn off if the heat gets too high, which shouldn't matter anyway since the led's put off zero heat, so I'll probably remove it. Freeing up outlets for more reef gear is more important than using the Apex to control the lights in my opinion.

(edited)

what do you plan on doing with the apex that can't be done with the evergrow IT series that has the controller? i'm sort of in the same boat that i want to use my apex or have a specific controller for all my lights and would like some of those silly aesthetic features like cloud coverage, lightning, etc. something the evergrows don't do right now. alan has pretty much confirmed that the evergrows will work with an apex now, though. i just want something cleaner i think without a bunch of cat5e all over the place.

the number seems kind of low but with the CREE LEDs i am sure you will find plenty of light within the confines of its spread. if you look at the PAR graph on their site, that gives you an idea.

Edited by monkiboy

Not sure how it compares to their LED kits but I got their 90G LED Kit for my tank and have been exceedingly happy with it, as have my corals. I went with that kit over the Evergrow fixtures for the same reason, I wanted my ReefAngel to be able to control my fixture.