Help setting up skimmer!!

rebekwl

(edited)

I have a super reef octopus 1000 and a can't seem to get it right.. It is in about 5.5" water and I have the internal water level to specs.. the skim is always too wet or nothing at all.. It's flooded twice?? Somebody help me!! I know this is a good skimmer, Just can't get it right!!!!!

Edited by rebekwl

Yea it was broke in when I got it... Upon further reasearch I found my model 2+ years old doesn't come with the air intake control. Hence , it pulls to much air. So I installed a air restriction device I also noticed that mine doesn't have the min max water level either. But, by cutting off air flow it raised the water level to where it should be as stated on the new models..

(edited)

yeah, most skimmers I've seen are about 7"-8" of water. Looks like you've got it figured out?

Just in case: This might help

Edited by YHSublime

Okay so it does not skim as much as I believe it should.. Anyone have one of these skimmers? Please help!! My Nitrates are rising and I know this is the reason

The skimmer is not the reason for nitrates rising, look elsewhere.  Possibly overstocked?  Water change frequency and size?  How old is the system?

This skimmer is doing nothing... ( not even an oz day) The tank is not very old, hence the need for the skimmer. I have not had this issue until this machine ( not a skimmer yet) was placed into the system.

This skimmer is doing nothing... ( not even an oz day) The tank is not very old, hence the need for the skimmer. I have not had this issue until this machine ( not a skimmer yet) was placed into the system.

Also, if the tank is young and you are not removing fish waste(ammonia) and left over food also ammonia.. Does it not convert to nitrites, then nitrates?

Correlation does not necessarily mean causality.  I will ask again, how old is the system?

Also, if the tank is young and you are not removing fish waste(ammonia) and left over food also ammonia.. Does it not convert to nitrites, then nitrates?

Water change frequency and size?  Water change is a common method for managing nitrates.

I have an octopus OTCX 200 and I personally would not restrict the air inlet. Both times mine has overflowed it was the air inlet ring on the suction of the pump was restricted with salt buildup. I run my water level in the skimmer 1 inch below the bottom of the collection cup. Hope this helps!!!

I have an octopus OTCX 200 and I personally would not restrict the air inlet. Both times mine has overflowed it was the air inlet ring on the suction of the pump was restricted with salt buildup. I run my water level in the skimmer 1 inch below the bottom of the collection cup. Hope this helps!!!

Thanks!

I know this is really basic but have to check because I had these problems because Im new. make sure your water level in sump does not fluctuate. for every half inch of water drop in my sump, the bubbles drop 2-3 inches in my skimmer. take apart and make sure there is nothing stuck in pump, dirt etc. As with any skimmer bubbles drop with hands in water so you have to make fine tuning adjustments a half hour or so after touching any part of the system. fishfood etc can do the same thing.