Enkay's 120 gallon Acrylic build (The tank that Adam built)

You know the footprint of the tank. I figured my actual flow by flipping on the pump and starting the stopwatch when the water started coming out. Then I timed for a minute and measured the height increase in the tank. From that you calculate the cubic inches per minute, then convert to gallons, and multiply to 60.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat technique. I will try that. Would like to know how much turnover of tank water I am having an hour.

Thanks!

You know the footprint of the tank. I figured my actual flow by flipping on the pump and starting the stopwatch when the water started coming out. Then I timed for a minute and measured the height increase in the tank. From that you calculate the cubic inches per minute, then convert to gallons, and multiply to 60.

A few pictures from this weekend's work ...

Sand ...

post-2633557-0-33402400-1376320061_thumb.jpg

Rock ...

post-2633557-0-65645900-1376320454_thumb.jpg

post-2633557-0-88991400-1376320455_thumb.jpg

Rock in the tank

post-2633557-0-88219600-1376320067_thumb.jpg

Not me ...

post-2633557-0-10101900-1376320071_thumb.jpg

(edited)

And we have ammonia. I have never been so happy to get a high ammonia reading in a an aquarium before.

Edited by Enkay

Thank you !

Btw, is it ok for the morning sun to fall on the tank. In the morning, almost half the Area of the tank is lit up by sunlight. I really like the natural light falling on my fresh water tanks and even position them so that they get sunlight.

How about SW. Is it the same? Especially for fish and corals to get natural sun would be nice right ?

Still cycling of course. Have a little bit of Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates have started showing up as well. Now its just the waiting game to see when it is done. Diatoms are showing up in brown patches. Will get the reactors started in a day or two.

Thank you Kim. Trying to tune the protein skimmer. Slow process. 

Will get the reactors set up with Carbon and Phosguard tonight.

The reactors are going to have to wait for a bit.

I am going to upgrade the sump to a 40 breeder. Hopefully will get done gluing in the baffles this weekend.

On another note - The tank seems to have cycled. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites <5 nitrates. 

Will check again on Saturday and if it stays what it is then a trip to the lfs to get some CUC is in my future.

Tanks looking really nice! Are you considering a small water change before adding your CUC? 

I am doing small water changes for the last 2 days. Will keep doing those and make sure of the cycle before I put in anything. 

I am also upgrading the sump to a 40 breeder in the next 2 days or so. Once that is done, I will be able to runt he reactors in sump.

If all goes as planned, next weekend the CUC goes in ... and then the other stuff ... like corals and fishies :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

CUC is in.

A whole bunch of snails or all kinds. Astrea, Turbo, others whose names I dont know.

A bunch of hermit crabs and 2 cleaner shrimp.

Everything is doing great for the past couple days and started their cleaning duties on some algae that had grown on the rocks and glass.

Fish in a few days. :). Super exciting.

So I got the corals that I picked up in the live sale and they went in yesterday. I need to get hold of a better camera than my Iphone and take some pictures.

Today morning, they were opening up very nicely. The Blastos look seriously GREEN and I got my first ever zoa colony which is just awesome.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted anything. So lets start with a couple of pictures. 

As you can all see, I am not very good at taking pictures. I always wonder how other people take such stunning pictures of their tanks and corals.

Any tips from the experts are most appreciated. 

Thank you smallreef. I will try that. 

As for life, there's 2 cleaner shrimp, one urchin ... a bunch of snails and hermits and one zilllion 34 billion 69 million 643 hundred thousand 719 pods ... serioously, I counted each one of them  :laugh:

Looking at my options of fishies. 

• 2 weeks later...

FInally a not so blue picture. Someone helped me figure out the white balance thingie on my camera.