LED PAR?

Supernova26

(edited)

For the LED users out there what PAR range is good for SPS. I understand that each SPS has different reqs but in general what is an optimal range. I just measured my PAR for the first time and at halfway in the tank it was 1100. It seems a bit much but at 500 PAR the tank "looks" a bit dark.

Edited by Supernova26

to be more exact, the PAR numbers represented for your typical blue/white LED combo is under-represented since the PAR meter is not as sensitive to the blue spectrum, so your actual numbers may be quite a bit higher. If you want it look brighter to your eyes, you need to use more lower kalvin LEDs such as neutral or warm whites and less blues. Additionally, you could also incorporate more green LEDs since that is what the human eye is most sensitive to. Just FYI though, green has not been shown as an effective spectrum for photosynthesis.

-Robert

For the LED users out there what PAR range is good for SPS. I understand that each SPS has different reqs but in general what is an optimal range. I just measured my PAR for the first time and at halfway in the tank it was 1100. It seems a bit much but at 500 PAR the tank "looks" a bit dark.

What lighting set-up do you have that is giving you 1100 par halfway down? Wow, how deep is the tank?

Robert, how's your tank doing?

my tank is doing well thanks... not much to remark about..

working on getting those red spot cardinals to survive long term. Started with 9 two months ago and despite having spawned multiple times, I'm down to 6. dunno why.

-Robert

What lighting set-up do you have that is giving you 1100 par halfway down? Wow, how deep is the tank?

Thanks for the answers guys. I have (2) D-120's supplemented with 48 Cree LED over 120gallon. The Cree's alone have a 300 PAR. I only have the whites at 45% but i do have the blues at 85-90% I had to lower the blues at about 60% to get the PAR at 600 range. I will play a bit more tonight and try to get it down and to my liking. I also have 8 greens, 4 cyan and 4 Reds over the tank.