pickling lime

scott711

Scott- WELCOME!  In our area- the safeway in kensington (on conneticut ave) has it- the others do not. Please leave a can for me- as I need to pick some up today as well.... They have ball's- which I've never had a problem with.  sphsail had some issues with mrs. wages brand, fwiw....  If you ever want to swing by to check out my tanks, just drop a line.

Michael

I used Mrs. Wages pickling lime for about 9 months in a Nilsen reactor.  Two issues showed up over time:

1. It is very course and chews up the impeller on the MJ400 pump used to circulate the Kalk.  Had to replace the impeller every 2-3 months.  Pain in the butt.

2. It was high in phosphates.  My PO4 readings were off the chart.

I switched to ESV Kalk and got two results:

1. impeller lasted about 10 months

2. No more phosphates.  zero.  bupkus.  nada.

Personally, I would only use a Kalk product that states Phosphate/Nitrate free.  I find that getting the 4lb containers is about 3x more expensive, but what the heck.  I load 1.5 cups per month.  This lasts quite a long time.

For the reduced cyano blooms and health of the tank, I've switched to ESV.

s

thanks guys for the replies. I found it at the Safeway on Georgia (near the wheaton mall). I bought 2 containers of it. Michael, there was plenty left for you:) Out of curiosity, how do you dose it in your tanks? do you need to add vinager?

Thanks,

Scott

Some where on the site there is a very extensive discussion on this.  Also read the kalkwasser thread that is stickied at the top of this forum.  Personally- I make about 5 gallons- stirred on a stir plate in a carboy with a spigot overnight. I do add vinegar- it does seem to get more into solution.   I take 2 gallons of this each day and add it to my top-off resevoir.  There is a powerhead in there with a line that is activated by a float switch (www.reeffanatic.com).  I am also running a calcium reactor, but find much better growth with both.  My demand in the system is pretty high though.  I used to use a container with an IV drip line and just added the needed amount every day- that worked quite well and was simple.  I don't care for the kent dosers- the precipitated material goes out with it.

I have a 32G reservoir of RO/DI water.

MJ1200 pump in it.

LifeReef float switch w/Solenoid (to stop syphon) to control pump based on Sump level.

Flows from reservoir through my DIY Kalk Reactor (Nilsen) into the sump for all evaporation make-up water.

Only hassle is making sure I remember to refill the reservoir and not run the pump dry.  This has happened a couple times to me.  Ugh.  Need to add one of those strips that tell you if an LP tank has gas or not (detects temp difference between liquid and air in tank).

I do get pH swings, though, as all make-up water flows in during high evaporation periods (kuz lights/fans are on) during the day.  I may yet add a calcium reactor, as Michael has, to handle calcium needs and to balance out pH issues.

The nice thing about this setup is it really does help suplement calcium hardness in the water.  Not as high as what a calcium reactor puts out, but about 2/3's there.

s

also how much pickling lime are you adding. I have read that some people use 1 tsp/gallon and others use 2 tsp/gallon. I am sure it is just trial and error, but I just thought I would ask

The good thing is you can't add too much- it will saturate- so things like phosphates the ppt out float to the top, while undissolved or carbonate insolluables sink to the bottom of the vessile.  I use I would guess 4 tablespoons worth/5 gallons.  I am sure I could probably use less.  1 tsp / gallon isn't enough if you are using vinegar, keep in mind the rule of thumb is you want a saturated solution (beyond where no more will dissolve).  Google Craig Bingman, and read everything Randy Holmes-Farley has written over on Reefcentral.com for some of the chemistry behind all of this.....  Which I would highly suggest as this is one of the easiest places to botch the tank if you don't have a zen feeling about what and why you are adding things into the tank.  

I just looked at the site you referenced- if you have a big tank- take the same principal and make it bigger!  Those were maybe enough for a super small tank IMO.