Connecting 2 tanks

mling

I am contemplating connecting my 2 tanks - a 156G Reef and a 55G aggressive FOWLR.

Here's my current setup. Both tanks are separate.

post-290-0-75771400-1366316511_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of connecting them up with this proposed design. In the proposed design I will use the 44G as a reservoir for ATO, placing it under the 55G

post-290-0-20288500-1366316587_thumb.jpg

Here are what I see as the cons of the proposed design

1) I have a larger total water volume. (156 + 55 )

2) Better filtration with the Deltec 600 for both tanks, been told that aggressive tend to be "dirty".

Please critic my assumptions and any issues.

Thanks.

What happens in the event of a power failure? Skimmer floods

Planning to put the skimmer in a rubber maid tub in case for overflows. Skimmer is also gravity fed.

As for power failure -> I have a generator - still "in the box", I know, I should test it out.

I'd keep the sump and just plumb in the 55 so the sump is the common area. On my old 55 I used a Mag7 for a return from my sump / fuge. You could get a pump to feed your deltec from the sump, but I think you might be better off getting an in-sump skimmer.

I like the idea...and the only problem I see as it looks as though your going to use the same pump to push water to both tanks? But if you cut down your flow into the reef tank by adding another tee you'll probably loose to much pressure...I'd use the sump like you have it.. Plumb your 55g overflow to it and have a smaller pump back into the 55 ... How large is the deltec rated anyway? You'll have a lot more load with an aggressive tank...

I think having the expanded water volume is a good idea. Depending on the output of the return pump you can run both tanks on one with no problem (unless you use a CLS, I would think that may not get the needed pressure). I had two tanks set up like this before our move and my current setup.

I agree with the above posters that it would be easiest to just have the two tanks drain into one common sump.

Jason, I believe there is an ATO underneath the 55...

I think you should keep the sump, add in the ATO beside it and plumb both in and out of the sump separately ....

I'd keep the sump and just plumb in the 55 so the sump is the common area. ...

Can't plumb the 55 because it cannot be drilled ( earlier post on drilling tanks at the meeting )

I like the idea...and the only problem I see as it looks as though your going to use the same pump to push water to both tanks? But if you cut down your flow into the reef tank by adding another tee you'll probably loose to much pressure...I'd use the sump like you have it.. Plumb your 55g overflow to it and have a smaller pump back into the 55 ... How large is the deltec rated anyway? You'll have a lot more load with an aggressive tank...

I'm thinking of using a Mag 12 to push water from the 55 back to the 156.

I only have a Lion in the 55 now. Having more planning to do regarding bio load before deciding what else to add.

Jason, I believe there is an ATO underneath the 55...

I think you should keep the sump, add in the ATO beside it and plumb both in and out of the sump separately ....

Yes, the proposed design has the 40 ATO under the 55

I wouldn't take the sump off of the reef tank...you def. do no want your water going from your aggressive to your reef...that's just putting bad water into good...

I wouldn't take the sump off of the reef tank...you def. do no want your water going from your aggressive to your reef...that's just putting bad water into good...

That is exactly what I have crying out at the back of my mind ! This is why I have not done anything yet. Might just get another remora to hang behind the 55.

I could have the water go from the 156 to the 55 then to the skimmer then back to the 156. Would that solve this issue ?

Also, in your design is the 55 on the floor? How does it get the water from the skimmer, and the DT?

I was going to elevate the skimmer, just high enough to have the water from the 156 still flow to it via gravity, it will than flow to the 55 which is just below the skimmer's return. I had sized the height of the 55's home made stand for this. This is why the 55 is a little lower than the 156's water line at the overflow.

What are you trying to gain by combining them?

More filtration from the a single skimmer - Deltec is currently only running on one of it's 2 pumps because that's a I need for the 156.

Plan to run both pumps if I hook up the 55 too. I am assuming that this is better for the 55 with than just 1 hang on back AquaC.

My 156 LR is placed in the middle so that my fishes can do laps, by moving the sump away from it's current position to under the 55, I free up the space behind the 156 for better viewing / space / easier access to back area of 156.

plumbing

I am going to replace my tubes with PVC so I thought this would be a good time to change things.

The other big assumption is that the larger the total volume of water and the larger the total LR , the better.

I agree that a larger volume of water will help...

I think if you do an overflow box to your sump and its own return pump and it will be good :)

Just have to make sure that the pump will cut off if the overflow loses its siphon.....

More filtration from the a single skimmer - Deltec is currently only running on one of it's 2 pumps because that's a I need for the 156.

Plan to run both pumps if I hook up the 55 too. I am assuming that this is better for the 55 with than just 1 hang on back AquaC.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Also if you setup the 55 gallon lower than the the 156 gallon then you can just plumb the exit of the 156 into the 55 and then the 55 would then goto your sump. Then only 1 return pump. The only issue with that could be too much flow to the 55 gallon. Then maybe if you have 2 overflows on the 156 them plumb 1 of them to the 55 and the other directly into the sump. Just a thought.

Myself I have my frag tank and my main tank on the same sump each having its own return pump. I thought about doing it the way I have it above but I did not feel like breaking down my DT to refit everything. I did turn down my return pump to my DT because the water was moving way to fast in the sump to get enough time for skimmer to clean effectively.

Why not just setup a seperate sump and run them seperatly. Move the ATO out from under the 55, and put a sump under there. It will save you money on salt since you will only need I/O instead of reef crystals for a FOWLR and take out a lot of variables with having these two tanks together.

(edited)

Also if you setup the 55 gallon lower than the the 156 gallon then you can just plumb the exit of the 156 into the 55 and then the 55 would then goto your sump. Then only 1 return pump. The only issue with that could be too much flow to the 55 gallon. Then maybe if you have 2 overflows on the 156 them plumb 1 of them to the 55 and the other directly into the sump. Just a thought.

That's a great idea, using one instead of both of the 156 overflows to feed the 55. Yes, I did design the 55's stand so that is would allow for the 156's overflow to feed to it via gravity.

Edited by mling

Why not just setup a seperate sump and run them seperatly. Move the ATO out from under the 55, and put a sump under there. It will save you money on salt since you will only need I/O instead of reef crystals for a FOWLR and take out a lot of variables with having these two tanks together.

I am trying to cut down on real estate so I'll rather not have another sump. Good point about only have to use I/O instead of Reef Crystals for the 55 but I do have 2 BTAs and GSP in there. I am a penny pincher and my wife calls me cheap but I'm too lazy to have to deal with 2 different types of salt :cool:

I was going to elevate the skimmer, just high enough to have the water from the 156 still flow to it via gravity, it will than flow to the 55 which is just below the skimmer's return. I had sized the height of the 55's home made stand for this. This is why the 55 is a little lower than the 156's water line at the overflow.

I see now, very cool design!

I am interested in seeing this come together and what the final product looks like. In the picture above does the 55 currently sit around the corner to the right (as we are looking) of the DT?

I see now, very cool design!

I am interested in seeing this come together and what the final product looks like. In the picture above does the 55 currently sit around the corner to the right (as we are looking) of the DT?

Here's a pic of the two tanks

post-290-0-58684700-1366385743_thumb.jpg

Plan to place the 40 sump under the 55. If only I could have drilled the 55, then I could have the water flow from the 156 to the 55 down to the sump below it, thru the skimmer then have the clean water return to the 156.

Smallreef suggested a moving the water from the 55 to the sump below it via siphon. Not to confident about that though I am going thru that idea, looking for cons and fail points.