humming noise

kjamaya

Got this annoying humming noise coming from my fixture when the whites come on. I normally have to smack it a couple of times in order for it to shut up.

Anyone knows why?

Possibly a fan.... What kind of fixture is it.? Where exactly does the noise sound like it comes from.?

+1

Could be the ballast also! T5?

Oh! check the light bulbs too. If it the ballasts it wouldn't be cost effective t replace it. Time for LED :happy: !

Bulbs are all new, as for ballast I have one brand new already and there are several people that sell them at great prices. I'm not sold yet on leds as I used to have them over my 75 and hated the disco ball look as well as my corals didn't do to well. But that's a whole other thread there. Just trying to figure out what the humming may be. Like I said it goes away whenever I hit the middle of my fixture...

All ballast hums (harmonic), but newer electronic ones are pretty quiet.

maybe loose ballast (since humming goes away). Try tighten the screw(s) before you replace it. Good luck

My fixture was making a bunch of noise, so I put some foam under the legs and that stopped the problem completely.