Heater malfunctioning or too small?

rebekwl

Hello all, Added my salt and heater yesterday afternoon around 6:00pm temp was 73.5 F and now it is 75.9 F Is this a normal rise? also noticed that the heater shuts off quite a bit also... I thought i understood thermostatic devices.. And that so long as the water that is coming into my return is below the set point it should continue to heat.. is that right? It is a hydor 150 and the tank is a 92 corner... Any knowledge of these heaters, proper sizing, placement etc.. would be great

What is your water heater set at? Try turning it up a bit, you will have to do a bit of guess work they aren't completely accurate.

I cranked it to 82 F to try to get the temp to come up... I just don't wanna get everything up and running, and this thing turn into a lightning bolt, and fry my tank.. Is 150 good enough for a 92? Is hydor a good manufacturer of heaters? I know they make pretty good powerheads but i'm not familiar with they're heaters..

I cranked it to 82 F to try to get the temp to come up... I just don't wanna get everything up and running, and this thing turn into a lightning bolt, and fry my tank.. Is 150 good enough for a 92? Is hydor a good manufacturer of heaters? I know they make pretty good powerheads but i'm not familiar with they're heaters..

I wouldn't worry about frying anything. You're 150W heater isn't even going to get your water close. You want a 400W heater for a 90G. At least a 300.

And consider getting 2 if you have a sump...placing one in tank especially if you can hide it behind some rock and the larger one in your sump... I always keep a mercury float thermometer on hand to check my water temp to see how far off the heaters are..I test them all in a 5g bucket and see first how long they take to heat then see how close the setting on the heater is to the actual temp when it stabilizes...

I agree with all above. I use a 300w in my 100g (probably 110g total water volume). It keeps my temp right at 78, which I verify with a glass mercury thermometer. My room temp is usually around 73-75 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...