Puffer not eating

LCDRDATA

So a couple of nights ago the little guy packed himself to the gills (pun semi-intended); I'd say he looked about 11 months pregnant. I came down the next morning to find him more or less sitting still on the bottom of the tank and breathing hard. After observing him for awhile and noting he didn't/couldn't "gain any altitude" I moved him to a hospital tank. He has no visible signs of any disease, and now is swimming pretty much normally. He just isn't eating - which is highly atypical for the little guy. His mouth clearly opens wide, at least for him, so it isn't like his teeth have grown together. How worried do I need to be, and where should I go from here? Thanks.

Mine acts like that once in awhile but he never turns down chopped up shrimp

is he succumbing to the same issue you had with your other fish? how long have you had him?

No, he was in a different tank so there's no reason he should be having the same problem. We've had him since just before Christmas

Mine acts like that once in awhile but he never turns down chopped up shrimp

He normally gets krill, Jan's food, Ocean Nutrition Formula One cubes, and chopped up shrimp. Right now he's not eating any of them. Now, it was shrimp he gorged himself on.

He just may have stuffed himself to not want to eat for a few days...you know how you feel after thanksgiving and all its craziness? I've had fish overeat and then not eat for a week....

He just may have stuffed himself ... I've had fish overeat and then not eat for a week....

I'm hoping that's all it is. The good news is that his breathing is back to normal. Still, I wish I knew if and to what extent I should be concerned.

Most shrimp are dipped in STTP. Dip all sea meats in a vitamin blend when you feed your puffer to avoid malnutrition and other issues. Malnutrition creeps up on fish and can cause sudden death. Often seen when feeding just mysis and other nutritionally incomplete foods.

No, he was in a different tank so there's no reason he should be having the same problem. We've had him since just before Christmas

He normally gets krill, Jan's food, Ocean Nutrition Formula One cubes, and chopped up shrimp. Right now he's not eating any of them. Now, it was shrimp he gorged himself on.

You should seriously consider taking water samples and maybe a fish to Dr. Torres at Pender. Call and ask her what she may need to make a diagnosis of what could be going on in your DT.

You should seriously consider taking water samples and maybe a fish to Dr. Torres at Pender. Call and ask her what she may need to make a diagnosis of what could be going on in your DT.

I am considering doing just that. The puffer, though, is not from that tank, which is why I was less concerned that it was suffering from the same issue as the tang I just lost.

That having been said, an update on a positive note: after loitering mostly at or near the bottom of the hospital tank for the last couple of days, the puffer is now up near the surface where he usually spends his time. Even more encouraging, he just ate several krill. :clap: I will keep monitoring but I am hopeful the worst is over. As previously suggested, it may have been nothing more than the "Thanksgiving effect." Thanks everyone!