Fish Room

Huly

Ok as some of y'all know Pez and I have been going back and forth with a larger tank. Our main level will NOT hold a larger tank and honestly if it overflowed into the main living area I would kill Pez. :)

So we were thinking about putting it in one of our basement rooms. The room is a theatre room (that we have yet to set up) but we really don't need that as our family room is set up for that.

So here is the floor plan from KHOV for our basement:

http://www.khov.com/Home/MD/323580000/ModelsAvailable/1DE/InteractiveFloorPlan.htm?InitialDisplay=0

KHOV did not finish our basement the prior owners did so this is what they did with that side of the basement (fish room is theater room)

Basement_zpse4787680.jpg

Here is the bathroom with RODI set up (started this last weekend)

DSCN7604_zpsee520e27.jpg

Wall we would like to place large tank (remove mini bar) (Black door leads to storage area)

DSCN7605_zpsc83354a1.jpg

Room opens up in rectangle shape. Right now it just holds storage, Redskins stuff to go on walls and around pool table etc Paint supplies from water leak (see ceiling bay window duct work condensation due to no insulation)

DSCN7606_zps24592c75.jpg

We will need to redo this room prior to a tank. What is the best type of paint to paint for water splashes etc? What is the best flooring? Since that wall goes to bathroom and open storage would it be the best wall to place tank? For those that have done something like this please post photos ideas etc. We are just in the thinking process. We will need to repaint must be Redskin related colors as it will open to this

IMG_20110910_192448_zpsc572bd77.jpg

We were thinking about doing it 80th Annv colors not sure now. That room is wired for 7.1 surround sound, Verizon FIOS TV DVR, 2 different types of adjustable lighting (wall lights and ceiling flood lights built in), no windows. We were also thinking put a TV and couch or even a poker table in there where you can chill and watch fish.

Thoughts?

(edited)

Did you meet at a Redskins event or were you both fanatics and found each other? Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sachabballi reef

Well, I must say I certainly like the color of that room better than the pool room HA!!

What about doing an in-wall corner tank where you described? Are you opposed to the tank being placed mostly inside that storage room? Obviously would require determining if that corner rounds towards the mini bar is load bearing or not, but I think that would be an awesome setup idea where the tank is visible from the pictured facing side as well as from the side where the minibar currently sits. If the storage room can be sacrificed further it would be an easy plumb to move your RO/DI setup out of the bathroom and back there as well.

This room was an egyptian theme these are the color they had in it and we have not touched this room yet except to fix the issues. Long story short they finished this basment without a permit. With the leak (as seen in photo) etc Loudoun county came out inspected all they could and worked with us to get what we could up to par and it in noted that none of this was done by us so if we sell this house nothing can come back on us. :)

As for Redskin fan- Nah I am from SC with my father being from Baltimore. My dad's family made up most of the Baltimore Colt's band with my Uncle's drum head being in the HOF. I was a little munchkin when the Colt's moved out in the middle of the night so I was just raised to hate Dallas and more College football- Clemson (Pez and I do not get a long on Saturdays he is MD) so I never had an NFL team but a passion for football. I am a southern gal all of us are raised to love football :)

That sounds like an awesome idea Adam. That is what we are trying to figure out. What is the best set up? Would that wall be the best place since it is there with storage room and bathroom. What demo should we do? As we want to complete all of that before putting a tank near that room.

She has Duct work going through that upper wall. Might be an issue - but atleast you know it's not load bearing.

Where does the little mini bar "nook" fit into the above floor plan? Having trouble figuring that part out. Is that door not on the "narrow" portion of blue storage room area?

As for the Duct work Omair, good point...LOL...I didn't even look towards the upper portion of that pic to see that. Shouldn't be much issue...just have to set tank height and depth properly to allow enough clearance under duct work for lighting.

And yeah Christie, if you don't mind giving up the storage area it would certainly make for an "optimal" setup that many people wish for and don't have the luxury of having. Being able to have more space for your sump, RODI, ATO, Skimmer, etc... is a godsend when you aren't forced to necessarily fit it all under a stand ;).

(edited)

She has Duct work going through that upper wall. Might be an issue - but atleast you know it's not load bearing.

I think all of the duct work is in the ceiling I think what you are looking at is the crazy way they put speakers in.

Edited by Huly

I will take a photo of the inside of the storage room tonight where you can see the other side of that wall. The mini bar nook is set into the storage room and against the bathroom wall. We could open all of that up or close that part in and open it up on the otherside.

Yeah I was thinking I will close a piece of the "opt Den room" in as it is weird how they did it and move the christmas stuff from this storage room to there as it would work better

strongly suggest visiting peoples fish rooms/in wall tanks...helpe me envision what i want/ can do/ should do, would do different.

DaveS Has a great room, im sure Coral hind does as well, and ive seen several others on here thru build threads but in person also helps alot....ive had alot of help from others but alot of it is preference.

find a tank size you like, go look at someones tank.....i love my 156 dimension but the centerbrace glass is the most annoying thing known to man and its only been running for 1.5 weeks.

strongly suggest visiting peoples fish rooms/in wall tanks...helpe me envision what i want/ can do/ should do, would do different.

DaveS Has a great room, im sure Coral hind does as well, and ive seen several others on here thru build threads but in person also helps alot....ive had alot of help from others but alot of it is preference.

find a tank size you like, go look at someones tank.....i love my 156 dimension but the centerbrace glass is the most annoying thing known to man and its only been running for 1.5 weeks.

That is a great idea. Can you post any photos? I would love the check some out.

My question...is how big are you thinking of going?

Also....why limit yourself to that small area where the wet bar is...

150-200 Gal maybe. Not just in the mini bar space but whole wall (black door down) Either knock that TV wall out (where hole is) or build in straight across getting rid of mini bar

Here are the photos of inside the storage room

Ceiling-The speakers go into the fish room wall where we are thinking to put the tank.

DSCN7607_zps69719383.jpg

DSCN7608_zps0454f965.jpg

Wall straight ahed is the mini bar cut out, wall to left is bathroom, and wall to right is fish room (all plain dry wall)

DSCN7610_zps83fdf9b9.jpg

Back of storage room

DSCN7611_zpsb09443c8.jpg

I would have to move all of the Christmas stuff but I think their is a floor drain in that room too.

Looks like a good option!

though you are really gonna want to put a fan or dehumidifier in there to keep the wiring from getting extreme corrosion...maybe making sealable boxes for them....

Yep, I say close back in the minibar area allowing you to do a longer in-wall leading all the way up to the bathroom wall. AND wouldn't it be cool if you had a cut out through the bathroom wall as well allowing the tank side to be visible in there as well?? LOL....baths would never get taken in the master bathroom again! ROFL!

Obviously that last part is a little overkill, but there are those adventurous enough to do it ;).

That storage area seems to have a lot of potential and does seem a great option to give yourself a great tank that doesn't eat into the space of the main room. A floor drain....big bonus =). And +1 to smallreef about adding some variant of humidity evac.

Looks like a good option!

though you are really gonna want to put a fan or dehumidifier in there to keep the wiring from getting extreme corrosion...maybe making sealable boxes for them....

Good call I know in the HVAC room (on floor plan Opt Mech Room) their is either a humidifier or something hooked to my HVAC. I forget what it is but my dad changes the filter in it as he knows I forget it is there LOL

We figure this room has the most capabilities since it opens to both the storage room and bathroom.

Can some of y'all post photos of how you designed your fish rooms to give us ideas

Close the mini bar! I know my husband would have a heart attack if he read this!

He always says "there's nothing better then sitting back with a nice glass of whiskey and looking at the tank.

Close the mini bar! I know my husband would have a heart attack if he read this!

He always says "there's nothing better then sitting back with a nice glass of whiskey and looking at the tank.

We honestly never use it as all the good stuff is upstairs :)

Sounds like the basement is the easiest place to install a large tank. But you need to decide whether you're really going to spend your time down there, enjoying it.

I have a basement tank too, but we spend almost all our free time on the ground floor. It doesn't work out quite the way I thought it would.

Our next tank is going to be in our central living space so it's easy to enjoy all the time.

Sounds like the basement is the easiest place to install a large tank. But you need to decide whether you're really going to spend your time down there, enjoying it.

I have a basement tank too, but we spend almost all our free time on the ground floor. It doesn't work out quite the way I thought it would.

Our next tank is going to be in our central living space so it's easy to enjoy all the time.

Yeah, good point, if I had a Redskins themed basement and pool table I wouldn't want to spend any time down there either ROFL!!

That is why we want to put a TV and couch there too where we can chill and watch the tank. We will leave the RSM 250 in our family room