New Tank Circuit Added

STEVE

I just put in a 40amp circuit, (my dad did), but he didn't make it a GFI...It is a dedicated circuit though that only goes to the tank. It is a 4 way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just put in a 40amp circuit, (my dad did), but he didn't make it a GFI...It is a dedicated circuit though that only goes to the tank. It is a 4 way.

For your tank?!?!?!

Very interesting...Can you please give a little more detail on the 40A circuit. Did he install a sub panel for you? Did he run a 40A breaker to an outlet?

Very interesting...Can you please give a little more detail on the 40A circuit. Did he install a sub panel for you? Did he run a 40A breaker to an outlet?

Yes, this concerns me as well...To put things in perspective, the only 40amp service in my house is the dedicated run for the oven. Moreover, the 4-way teminology is normally used for a circuit that has multiple switches, so what did you mean by 4-way?

ok...I just spoke to my dad. I dont have a 40a circuit...I have 2-20amps. what he did is put in a 20amp breaker in a blank slot right next to another 20amp circuit and "piggy backed them", what ever that means... We then ran a dedicated line to my tank and installed 2 outlets. So I guess I have a total of 2 recepticals (4 outlets) that equal a total of 40? I hope I am saying this right?

A piggy back breaker is two breakers in one...so, if you ran one wire you have one 20amp circuit and are only using 1/2 of the new piggy back breaker...if you ran two wires then he most likely used both breakers on the that one piggy back breaker, thus two seperate 20amp circuits...the breaker next door to it has no involvement.

Edited by John

Thanks John.....We ran just 1 wire. So does that mean I have only 20amps? For some reason, I thought, and remember, I have no clue about electricity, I had 40 amps combined out there.

I assume the new breaker has two tabs, but if it only has one then I'm not sure how he piggy backed the new breaker and the existing breaker without tapping into that existing circuit...I'll leave that to the experts...

:) When looking at the breaker...the tab (the lever you have to throw to trip/untrip the breaker) is it as wide as the breaker or are there two smaller tabs within the new breaker?

I just split this into a new thread so as not to hi-jack the other one.

Posting up a picture of the breaker and even cable would be helpful. I'm sure he installed it correctly and what you have is two seperate 20A circuits with one duplex per circuit. Since you mentioned one cable was used I'm sure he used a cable with two hots and is sharing the neutral and ground. Do you plan to install GFCI's at all?

Surefire why to ensure what you got it to throw each breaker and see what goes out...if he says 2 20amp circuits then I'm sure that's what you have...you may want to load balance your equipment between the two outlets if it isn't already...afterall that was his intent...

Moreover, if you trust your father and he does panel work then I assume you're okay...unless you have a multi-million life insurance policy with him as the beneficiary...HAHA j/k

LOL....I can only hope he knows what he is doing!

Thanks Mods for splitting....did not mean to hyjack the other thread. :)

I agree it is more interesting. It would be even more interesting if he took the two 20A breakers and ran #8awg to parallel the breakers and get the 40A to the tank.

Dave, I dont have a clue...When I talk to him today, I will ask him.

I agree it is more interesting. It would be even more interesting if he took the two 20A breakers and ran #8awg to parallel the breakers and get the 40A to the tank.

But then what happened to the existing circuit that was already in the panel?!?! :)

There was a blank spot, so he added a 20amp breaker....I think.

oh boy......I thought there was one open slot, I know we purchased a 20amp breaker, and he used the word "piggybacked"...sorry. I am calling him right now!

If you used a piggyback breaker there were probably no open spots so he took out one 20A breaker and put in a 20A piggyback breaker which is actually two 20A breakers in the space that would normally be used by one of them. Maybe that's where the 40A confusion came in too.

Or if there was one open spot and you need two 20A circuits he could put in a piggyback breaker to give you the two 20A circuits (again, the 40A number comes into play) with one slot in the box.

2 20amp circuits is what I'm being told. He said it's probably closer to 30-35 avalible for that circuit. We used 12-3 wire. 1 circuit is dedicated 20amp service and it piggy backs to another 20amp breaker that has barely any load on it at all.

So he tapped into the existing 20A breaker and ran a new 20A circuit on the new breaker...less exciting...oh well, since there is already a load on the existing 20A breaker I would test that breaker to see what else is on the circuit...You will learn what outlets to avoid plugging in a vacuum, space heater, compressor, beer fridge, etc to prevent *possibly* tripping aquarium equipment...

Edited by John