Wade's new 180 - to be sps dominated tank

wade

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update 10/28/2013:  tank pictures.

Algae mostly controlled (found out my 3 month old RO membrane has already gone bad and I burned through a full 10" DI cartridge in 3 weeks... so a little dusting on the sand and the back has returned). Rocks are quite clear now.

post-2632297-0-63738300-1382985415_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-44696100-1382985427_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-50769600-1382985436_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-93832500-1382985443_thumb.jpg

Wow. I love this tank, once everything grows in it's going to be amazing.

Thanks!

Here is another shot, this one from the right side angle.  I like that it shows both the ledge on the right and the main channel (its cut at an angle to the back) in the center.

post-2632297-0-44252500-1382987318_thumb.jpg

So after spending a good bit of time looking at and pricing out options for topoff tanks, I've found one.  

30g_topoff.jpg

It is a 30 gallon PE molded tank used for water storage in RVs, trailers, etc.  It has one hole and 3 extra ports on the top (orientation of picture).   This should last a few weeks at a time so I don't have to refill it constantly.  It is attached to a BRS topoff (peristaltic) pump connected to an Avast topoff system with float.

My next step will be creating a similar cabinet to my stand to hide this and my 20lb CO2 bottle inside.  Which means I will have to find a nice ~20-25g tank to sit on top of them. I mean, why create a flat top cabinet and _not_ put a fish tank on it right?

I worry about 30g of ro water in case of failure...that will tank your salinity what's your safety back up so i can copy? Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It is a bit of a concern, however, the line cannot siphon as it will be set up which helps a ton (both due to the pump being off and clamped on the line and the outlet being above the top of the topoff water level).  That means the only thing that can "go wrong" is the pump gets stuck on and it keeps filling.  The AVAST topoff unit has a physical shutoff valve that mostly works (it slows it considerably, but I still see a drip) when the sump hits its fill mark, so I wouldn't expect it to go for long.  Not a perfectly done system, but not bad.  The sump can take around 15 gallons before overflowing.  And if it does overflow, there are 2 leak detectors inside the stand that will shut off the return, skimmer, and topoff pumps (as well as send text and make noise).

Shutting off the return lets about 3-4 gallons back into the sump. The skimmer less than half a gallon. So not a whole lot.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Wade, I think it's about time for an update. How about one of those awesome FTS you seem to whip up that always look awesome?!

Funny. I was just thinking about that.  I had a setback when my return pump failed and I didn't get a replacement fast enough, but luckily only lost a couple of things (gold torch was lost, darn!) and half the corals bleached, BUT!  They are now colored back up, and possibly even moreso than they were prior.

I'll scrape the tank today and give it a shot. Thanks for the prod. >.>

Funny. I was just thinking about that.  I had a setback when my return pump failed and I didn't get a replacement fast enough, but luckily only lost a couple of things (gold torch was lost, darn!) and half the corals bleached, BUT!  They are now colored back up, and possibly even moreso than they were prior.

Awesome, I mean, not awesome, but it sounds like you've ended up ahead by getting setback a bit. Can't wait to see it!

I'll scrape the tank today and give it a shot. Thanks for the prod. >.>

*bows*

That wrasse is pretty flashy! How do you like that magnet scraper? Will it take off coralline? Will it scratch glass?

Unfortuantely, I lost that wrasse when the power flicked off one night.  It went head first into something and brained itself. I still have the female though.... but I also now have a trio of flame wrasses.

The scraper is great.  And no, its designed for glass, so it doesn't scratch (unless you get sand or something under the pad).. and yes, it takes off corraline very well.

Not a great composite, but it gets the idea across. Ignore all the blurry fish. Can't do anything about that with the low light levels and slow shutter speeds.  I'll post some closer shots soon.