Calcium and Alkalinity

unninair

For the first time... (I know :whip: ), I tested my Calcium and Alkalinity.

Calcium reading is 640 and the Alkalinity is 3.0... Based on what I have read, the Calcium reading seems to be very high. Could it be my test solution? Would this harm anything in my tank if the reading are correct? I am not adding anything else to the water other than occassionally spiking with Balls pickling lime to keep my PH up and 20% water changes every month.

Thanks a lot

Unni

That Ca is a bit high (might be the test kit) but 3.0 on the alk is good (that would be 8.4DKH) natural seawater is about 8 & 8 - 9 is very good (some run higher).

I suspect the kit is a bit off, but the only real danger is precipitating the Ca (especially on pumps etc).

forgot - I'm assuming that's 3.0meq/l - if it's 3.0DKH you'd be in real trouble.

Unni,

As far as adjusting for your current levels, sit tight, it'll come around naturally and faster than you guess.

Have you considered 5% exchanges several times during the month?

They can go really fast with a good program.

Mixed sea water is inherently low in ALK so when you dilute your current water with an exchange, it can take several days for your ionic balance to fully recover.

You can add stuff (baking powder) to your new mix but it will still take several days for it to become part of the balance so why bother?

Erik,

Alkalinity is infact 3.0 meq/L....

The test kit I am using for Calcium is NUTRAFIN (not FasTest).

Chip,

How would 5% change help me in this scenario? My ALK seems good but the Calcium is what I am concerned about. I believe the recommended levels is 400 to 450. I have no clue why it is high (but I guess) it is a good thing since I dont need a Calcium Reactor :lol:

Thanks a lot guys,

Unni

what salts do you use as oceanic is high in calcium out of the box.

41107[/snapback]

Gary,

:77: :77: :77:

Should I be concerned other that precipitation on pumps?

Unni

How would 5% change help me in this scenario? Other than occassionally spiking with Balls pickling lime to keep my PH up and 20% water changes every month.

It may not help you.

I only offered something for consideration.

It's the spiking, as opposed to contant steady small additions.

If you dump a bunch in it does just as you said... spikes. To return to normal, something, somewhere, has to fall out of solution. What might that be?

It's the 20% changes as opposed to frequent small exchanges.

So you draw off 20g and exchange it with new water. If you're good, you planned ahead and made it several days before and let it airate and "condition" well.

If not, you didn't. So you dump, pump, spill it all back into your tank and you've finished another months maintenance. Everybody looks great but they and the ionic balance HAVE to adjust.

OR.....

Since you're still good, you've always got sea water "cooking". You add 5g to the system, go check a chore off your HD list, come back and siphon off the now extra 5g and return the water level to normal. A little evaporation later discreatly adds a small dose of KALK, constantly keeping good PH.

That same "used" 5g can then be exchanged into your QT tank which inturn will slowly start acclimating any new fish to their new environment.

It's just a different way to play, and one I've experienced into over the years.

Remember,

Nothing happens fast, unless she's really HOT, and then you just can't help it!

Chip,

Thanks a lot for your advice.... I have to admit I was performing the monthly shock treatment for the livestock by using freshly prepared saltwater. I'll be performing smaller changes more frequently using water that is premixed and properly aerated.

Thanks again,

Unni

keep a power head or some type of pump in the container were you prepare saltwater, and try to prepare it with at least one day in advance, this will aerate the water and keep the water ready mix for your changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you refering to Calcium/ Alk or my practice of "dumping" fresh made saltwater into my tank?

Calcuim/Alk - Did not test again (will do that in a week)

Water Changes - Started using water that is mixed atleast 1 day in advance and perform smaller water changes.

:D

Unni,

As far as adjusting for your current levels, sit tight, it'll come around naturally and faster than you guess.

Have you considered 5% exchanges several times during the month?

They can go really fast with a good program.

Mixed sea water is inherently low in ALK so when you dilute your current water with an exchange, it can take several days for your ionic balance to fully recover.

You can add stuff (baking powder) to your new mix but it will still take several days for it to become part of the balance so why bother?

41087[/snapback]

Few things to consider. Some salt solutions are high in CA while others are low. Also, depending on the amount of LPS and SPS you have in you tank the CA will be depleeted faster or slower. and finally I agree with CHIP, the water changes do help stabilize the tank parameters.

Are you refering to Calcium/ Alk or my practice of "dumping" fresh made saltwater into my tank?

Calcuim/Alk - Did not test again (will do that in a week)

Water Changes - Started using water that is mixed atleast 1 day in advance and perform smaller water changes.

:D

43475[/snapback]

The Calcium/ Alk situation as well as the inhabs.

Just interested how it's coming along.

I hope it didn't come off sounding like it's got to be the way I do it.

That's not the case.

I hope it didn't come off sounding like it's got to be the way I do it.

43776[/snapback]

Chip,

Absolutely not..... :D I can always take some constructive criticism. I knew what I was doing was wrong - but since it was not apparent that the inhabitant were in any danger, I continued to do so. Thanks again for emphasizing the need to use pre-made water and performing smaller water changes. Everyting seems to do good - except I am starting to have some drown (diatoms) algae bloom on the substrate due to some unrelated/unexplained reason.

Unni