Recommendations for CUC

Muddy357

I am looking for recommendations for my clean up crew for my 90 rimless tank. So many different places online spit out different numbers for different inverts and I just wanted to get some input from the more experienced people here. I am looking for what species I should get and how many of each one.

Thanks for your help

Jake

Thanks Ryan, My first thoughts are of just getting snails but still not sure how many or which types to start with.

Reefcleaners can make you a good pack for your setup. The prices are also very fair. I've always gotten my cuc from them.

It will also depends on what you're planning to keep. Sand bed or bb?

Look into the Florida cerith, nerite, turbo (the can knock corals off at times but great algae eaters), nassarius (if you have a sand bed). You can also add hermits but I personally keep away from hermits because they eat my snails.

Edited by Kingumar

I get so conflicted by hermits...absolutely love watching them in the tanks but they are flat out turbo killers for the shells...wonder if putting large empty shells would keep peace...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

email reefcleaners. they have a form on their website that will give you a recommended CUC. and their prices cant be beat. tell them on the form you want all snails and no hermits. otherwise you'll be replacing your snails on a regular basis.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/component/form/Custom%20Clean%20up%20Crew%20Form?form_id=1

Edited by Ryan S

I ordered my cuc from Reefcleaners for my 120 not too long ago and they accidently sent me a hermit which was hiding in a snail she'll. The hermit started attacking the snails as soon as I put them in the tank. I threw the sucker in the sump.

I guess one other question would be can snails really take care of everything or are hermits a necessary evil?

Snails will take care of it all for the most part. Many reefers avoid hermits. They are wonderful critters but it become conflicting when adding them with snails. There is no doubt in mind that they will kill your snails.

But i will tell you what youve heard many times and will continue to hear it. CUC can only do to much, they are benificial for keeping a system stable from nuisance algae but wont help much with majoy algae outbreaks due to other problems such as bad water, phospates, nitrates, etc.

Jake, I had great luck with Reeftopia...I think I dealt with Brian. Very customer service friendly too. The answer the phone. JMO

I had the same dilema regarding the hermits and was planning on getting some but John at BRK (as well as other's on the forum) talked me out of it and I won't look back. Got snails instead, amusing to watch that's for sure.

I guess one other question would be can snails really take care of everything or are hermits a necessary evil?

yes they can. they have snails that can do everything. clean under the sand, under rocks, on the glass, on rocks, everywhere. hermits can only clean the surface of rocks/sand. snails can do much more.

Ok thanks everyone for all of your input.... I will be buying my clean up crew from one or more of our LFS since with how busy work is right now I will not be able to take off a day to wait at home for the delivery.

you dont have to wait for delivery. they drop it off USPS priority mail at your door. snails are very hardy. i think they are all 2-3 day shipping too.

Check out the prices on reefcleaners and compare them to your localFS> Its probably a big difference. They drop the package off infront of your door and you can pick it up when you get back. They sails will be fine.

Another suggestion is to buy a package smaller than what is recommended for your tank size. Although I have nothing but good things to say about reefcleaners (I've bought from them), they are very generous and they often send way more than what you bought (which is not a bad thing in some instances). Don't forget, snails poop..adding bioload when you probably won't want to. You can always add as you need and for different situations.

Another suggestion is to buy a package smaller than what is recommended for your tank size. Although I have nothing but good things to say about reefcleaners (I've bought from them), they are very generous and they often send way more than what you bought (which is not a bad thing in some instances). Don't forget, snails poop..adding bioload when you probably won't want to. You can always add as you need and for different situations.

Well then that gives me an excuse to set up a 6th tank LOL