Will a Nassarius snail eat Peppermin Shrimps?

Neto

I have a Nassarius snail at the sump and would like to introduce it to the display but I am afraid it will kill my peppermint shrimp..

Will it be safe?

My experience is that a nassarius snail will eat anything that is dead or almost dead, but will not kill something - especially not something fast moving like a shrimp can be.

(edited)

The illysianna (spell?) Species are predatory - those are the small dark ones comonly calles onyx.

Edited by treesprite

My experience is that a nassarius snail will eat anything that is dead or almost dead, but will not kill something - especially not something fast moving like a shrimp can be.

+1 they are not predators. I think it could look like it thought sometimes if you had a fish or something die recently they will swarm it pretty fast. Then people get it in their head that the snails killed my fish.

I love nassarius snails in general, but the ones I'm talking about, correct spelling ilyanassa obsoleta, aren't even nassarius but are sold as nassarius (especially on Ebay). They eat the living organisms in the sandbed, including pods, stripping it of life and leaving to starve any livestock which requires those organisms to live. - if you have any fish that need pods for food, don't put these snails in your tank.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/mg/index.php