Not Necessarily for Aquarium Use

BeltwayBandit

I'm interested in LED's too and they've come a long way. The main issue is that they are mostly low wattage right now, and were limited in spectrum.

However, my opinion is that the corals benefit from light coming from all sides. The LEDS are like lasers and have replaced some in laserprinters. They emit coherent light, that is, the light waves are literally parallel from the source. That would be unnatural to them.

But they may find way to difuse it...

FF

Guest mightymouse

maybe if someone could create a dome like canopy with enough leds it could hit the tank from all angles or maybe side lighting with leds that would be somethin new

Guest goblinshark

thats pretty cool, but i found something even cooler/nerdier a LED clock in binary! haha its sooo nerdtastically awesome!

Yep, that's nerdy!

The dome idea, nice. Aside from the fact that the stone ages of aquarium thinking has not moved forward - you'd think that if they can design a cheapo molded aquarium hood at a reasonable price they design a nice one rounded or rectangular dome shaped.

I hear a dyi project rattling around!

2 things

It would be nice ir they came in dark blue like some of those reef moonlight setups.

What if you have a multi facited reflector with the LEDs pointing into the reflector rather than into the tank with the reflector behind it. hmmmmmmmmmm

How many LED's will be needed to replace the output put out by a regular 250W MH 10K or 20K bulb? and once we have that answer, how much will each LED cost? and finally, life expectancy, how long before they need to be change?