Setting up a 40Br: LED or T5?

fishcam

Hi folks-

~3 years ago I sold my tank, moved to Calif, and spent my tank money on scuba lessons. But you cant stay gone forever, and WAMAS was such a great community, I thought I'd ask my new tank question:

I'm setting up a 40br display, which is intended to ultimately be an LPS/SPS tank, and in the time that I've been gone, LED lighting seems to have taken off.

Here's my question: Those of you with LPS/SPS tanks, is there a concensus on LED lighting compared to t5 or MH? I searched around and found that I have the following options (based on popularity and price):

- AcuaticLife 36 8xlamp t5ho for $460

- 2xReef Breeders Photon 24 for ~$660

- RapidLED 40br kit, with some DIY stand for ~$500

- 2x AquaIllum Sol Super Blue plus stand for ~$900

Here's my basic setup (specific to lighting):

- 40br tank

- I need to have the lights sit on the tank. No hanging from above.

- Flow is provided by a Hang-On-Side CS102, with returns on the other short side.

- MJ1200 with magnets are also on the short sides.

- I estimate that these guys take up about 5 inches on either side of the tank, so really, my lightable area is probably 24x25 for SPS/LPS, with shenanigans on the edges of that.

I'm partial to the AquaticLife and AquaIllumination brands, because of their fit and finish, so I guess it boils down to: for those with experience, are the LED's worth the extra cash, or have folks with SPS/LPS stuck to t5 and MH?

Thanks for your thoughts and experience! Please feel free to add anything I have not thought about!

With the price of the LED setups right now it's hard to beat, if you renew your membership there is a group buy going on right now to get the lights that reefbreeders sells. You can't go wrong with T5's either and MH's are always the tried and true especially with the great reflectors that are out now. Getting ready to switch my frag tank to LED's and if they do well will switch my display, figure with the D120 lights they will pay for themselves in less than a year of bulb/electricity usage and they are cheaper than setting up a quality MH setup.

Just saw in your post that you want the lights to sit on the tank so T5 may be your best bet

I would say LED's. A little more up front but the savings in bulb replacement will make up the difference. Plus with many of the new LED's you can control them or set them up to the color you want.