new Quiet One is LOUD!

treesprite

I bought a Quiet One 6000 pump and it is even louder than my old Gen-X :mad:

Actually, it is louder now than it was the first couple days. It doesn't sound like simple vibration. It's bad enough that I don't think I can live with it. Is it possible that something got in it, to which it is objecting? I don't know anything about these pumps to know the possibilities.

any thoughts? Am I going to have to take apart the plumbing I just finished re-doing a couple days ago, so that I can open up the pump to look for ghoulies?

I had one of those with my Solana XL 60 and it was loud for the first 48 hours or so. Then it was quite again. However, anytime I did any work in the tank and bumped it, it would take another 48 hours to quite down again. I've also heard they are very unreliable pumps so I never bought another one.

Hmmm. I hear the name a lot, so when I was searching for a pump I settled on a Quiet One, thinking it would be a good, and quiet, pump. I hope it shuts up on its own.

worst pump i ever owned. The name is quiet deceiving... loud and unreliable. I had the Quiet One 4000 on my 120 gallon a couple of years ago and was scared to death each time the power cut off or i had to shut the pump off for maintenance... literally a waiting game, sitting there hoping and praying that it would start pushing water again... sometimes taking a minute, sometimes taking an hour for it to start churning... i was so happy when it finally died and i got an ehiem 1262 to replace it.

for quiet and reliability, look for an ehiem or a waveline 5000... those wavelines are great, quiet and controllable.

I'm kind of stuck. I can't justify buying a second new pump.

The original Quiet One was an awesome pump 20 years ago. The new Quiet One is just the name on a different P.O.S. pump.

Throw it in the trash or trade it to someone else. Get a Mag-Drive.

Mine did quite down after a week as Incredible Corals mentioned. I've read it takes some time for a bio slime coating to form in the motor which makes it run better. If the noise is from vibration putting it on something like a mouse pad might help.

The original Quiet One was an awesome pump 20 years ago. The new Quiet One is just the name on a different P.O.S. pump.

I totally agree! The old metal housing style used a Grundfos motor and they lasted for ever. When mine finally died I tried one of the new ones thinking the brand would have the same quality but it was garbage.

The old quiet one pumps were made by Grundfos and were perfect!!!!! The 'quarium line of pumps are the closest to the old quiet one. Grundfos also sells a chemically resistant pump that looks exactly like the old style quiet one. That will be what I replace my un-quiet one when it fails.