Do you use a water filter on your kitchen fauctet?

Jan

So whats a good inexpensive kitchen sink filtration unit that will remove chloramine and other chemicals from tap? I don't know how to modify anything to my RO/DI unit. The unit actually sits in the basment right under my kitchen sink. Drilling a hole from the basement ceiling to allow a hookup to reach the kitchen sink would work, but I don't know how to do this. Hubby may know, but it will take at least a year to get him to do it.

Yea, as a retired senior Emergency Medical Instructor and EMT-P for many years teaching for the FDNY I have to know a little about this stuff. Very little compared to Doctors and others with many years of education. I know a little more than the lay person. Enough to stand my ground and stay my opinion that we don't need salt in RO/DI water ;) .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

And it wasn't really about the salt per se, though when I use a dash of the Himalayan stuff its not just salt. My wife knows what she's talking about as well, me thinks.

Jan - I put a whole house sediment filter on where my water comes into the house. It's very inexpensive and pretty easy to do. It also lengthens the life of all your water using appliances (at least the parts that sediment would affect). I then put a carbon filter under the kitchen sink on the cold water only. This takes care of the chlorine smell and taste. The whole house filter requires some minor plumbing skills but the under the sink filter is pretty easy to add.

Wikipedia has an interesting entry on this topic. One line caught my eye. It says,

"It was observed that consumption of "hard" water, or water containing dissolved solids, is associated with possible cardiovascular effects. As noted in the American Journal of Epidemiology, consumption of hard drinking water is negatively correlated with (i.e., helping to prevent) atherosclerotic heart disease.[16]"

What I find interesting is that, if true, this line infers that drinking hard water (water with calcium salts in it) is correlated with reduced incidents of heart disease. This would infer that fewer salts correlate with higher incidents of heart disease. Mind you, "correlated" does not infer "cause." There could be other factors at work here.

Does anyone here have access to past papers published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, and can they find the paper from which this conclusion was drawn? I'd be very interested in reading it and seeing what research it references, and subsequent research that cites the paper as a reference.

Of course she knows what she's talking about. We both do. We just have different opinions. For me it is about the salt. Even though the Himalayan salt has more minerals in it, it is still salt. If you do a search on the Mayo clinic site you'll see that the same warning that applies to table salt applies to seasalt and himalayan salt. Too much "salt" is not good especially for the groups I've listed in my post. I just think there are other healthier ways to get the same minerals. As I said before, here in the US we get too much salt in our foods. Salt is salt no matter what else is in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

And it wasn't really about the salt per se, though when I use a dash of the Himalayan stuff its not just salt. My wife knows what she's talking about as well, me thinks.

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

Here's just as good of a read from the "Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences in India" on the same subject. It adds up to poor diet and soft water are contributors to CAD.

http://www.google.co...gZayjvT66iBXlQQ

Wikipedia has an interesting entry on this topic. One line caught my eye. It says,

"It was observed that consumption of "hard" water, or water containing dissolved solids, is associated with possible cardiovascular effects. As noted in the American Journal of Epidemiology, consumption of hard drinking water is negatively correlated with (i.e., helping to prevent) atherosclerotic heart disease.[16]"

What I find interesting is that, if true, this line infers that drinking hard water (water with calcium salts in it) is correlated with reduced incidents of heart disease. This would infer that fewer salts correlate with higher incidents of heart disease. Mind you, "correlated" does not infer "cause." There could be other factors at work here.

Does anyone here have access to past papers published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, and can they find the paper from which this conclusion was drawn? I'd be very interested in reading it and seeing what research it references, and subsequent research that cites the paper as a reference.

I think RO water is safe to drink and so do many doctors. The tap water in Saudi Arabia is TDS zero and in Vancouver it is often as low as 10 TDS. People in these places do not have mineral deficiencies or electrolyte imbalances. Doctors have said you can get all the minerals you need (except maybe calcium) by even eating junk food. Every bad thing I've heard about drinking RO water is speculation.

Here's the citation if anybody has access to past issues of the Journal:

1. ^ Voors, A. W. (1971). "Mineral in the municipal water and atherosclerotic heart death". American Journal of Epidemiology 93 (4): 259–266. PMID 5550342.

Steve, can you shoot me a PM with the name of the filter your using, where you got it and the cost? Did you use a regular carbon filter like the ones we can get on BRS or AWI?

Jan - I put a whole house sediment filter on where my water comes into the house. It's very inexpensive and pretty easy to do. It also lengthens the life of all your water using appliances (at least the parts that sediment would affect). I then put a carbon filter under the kitchen sink on the cold water only. This takes care of the chlorine smell and taste. The whole house filter requires some minor plumbing skills but the under the sink filter is pretty easy to add.

Just following up for whoever might be interested. Another member had access to the Medline service and was able to get me the paper and some of the subsequent citations. Interesting stuff. Here's a really quick summary:

A. W. Voors (1971) Minerals in the Municipal Water and Artherosclerotic Heart Death:

A data-mining investigation to examine often observed negative correlation between artherosclerotic heart disease (AHD) and drinking water hardness. The study looked for correlation between AHD and deficiencies in six trace metals in the drinking water supply over 99 cities in the US. The study found significantly negatively correlation between AHD in whites and trace levels of lithium in the water, and between AHD in non-whites and trace levels of vanadium. The correlation was estimated to account for 20% of the statistical variation observed. No direct association was observed for trace levels of calcium, chromium, magnesium, and zinc. Possible toxicity was not part of the study.

D. Meyers (1975) Ischaemic heart disease and the water factor:

Another investigation based on death records and water quality records performed for two Australian cities (Brisbane and Melbourne), specifically looking at Ischaemic Heart Disease. Brisbane had hard water while Melbourne has soft water. The analysis did not look at lithium or vanadium levels in the water but looked at calcium, magnesium, sulfates, chloride and fluoride. The conclusions were that total hardness of the water was not correlated with IHD.

S. Flowers, et al (1990) Hypertension Induction in Dahl Rats

Results of an experiment that looked at the correlation between dietary sodium and blood pressure in a strain of rats bread to be sensitive to sodium chloride (common salt). Found a positive relationship between sodium intake and blood pressure (no surprise there). Also cites "several studies" demonstrating the blood pressure-lowering effects of magnesium.

J. Gumashta, et al (2012) Hard water and heart: The Story Revisited (this is the paper that Jan linked to above)

Appears to be a compendium of research studies with intermediate conclusions for each. Indicates overwhelming negative correlation (that is, protective benefits) between water hardness and sudden death from heart disease. The paper strongly suggests (virtually declares) the "proven" protective benefits of trace levels of magnesium in drinking water. The abstract declares that, "modern processed food and over reliance on ready-to-eat food, thus avoiding fruits and green leafy vegetables, is an important cause of Mg (magnesium) deficiency. The paper cites a couple of studies (in Britain & the US) suggesting the optimum level of hardness to be 170 ppm. Quoting, "The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) concluded - An optimum conditioning of drinking water could reduce the amount of cardiovascular disease mortality by as much as 15% in the U.S. When looking at the research, there is a definite relationship between water hardness and disease mortality. They suggested to drink water that is approximately 170 mg/L of hardness.... there is a definite relationship with TDS and heart disease mortality. Higher levels of TDS result in less heart disease." Paper has a nice table of 25 references/studies at the back end summarizing who, when and where they were performed, and the high level findings of each.