45 cube build help

YHSublime

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to using sumps/pumps/and overall general reef tank setup. This is why I started with a Biocube, as everything I needed was tiny enough to keep simple.

I'm not familiar with overflow boxes, or protien skimmers, and reactors.

A lot of you are veterans in this saltwater world, and I'd really love some advice on how to setup this new cube. I would love explanations of what you suggest, and why. If you could go back and do it all over again, how would you do it?

I'd like to start with what type of overflow you think I should go with, and why. Somebody recomended a Coast to Coast.

Pictures are a bonus, I'm very visual.

I will use this thread to help answer my questions as I go along, and I expect I will have many, I look forward to all the help and suggestions!

DSC_0263_zps05701908.jpg

First question is, are you willing to drill the tank?

Yes

Tank already looks drilled...

Correct, this might help:

DSC_0268_zpsc5a5e31b.jpg

DSC_0265_zpsae5fcee3.jpg

Is that an intercom box near the tank? Seems as if you have an electrical panel nearby too, are you going to be using a canopy?

That is an intercom box, Right by the fuse box. I plan on hanging my LED's from the ceiling, keeping the top open.

x2

DSC_0264_zpsbb6e0bb2.jpg

Shower rod test

DSC_0263_2_zps195050fc.jpg

You don't need an overflow, just get a few slip elbows with strainers and slide them into your bulkheads...

I would consider a cover of some sort for your intercom, just to prevent salt spray/accidents from getting it wet...

As far as sump, get the biggest size reservoir that will fit in the stand...rubbermaid, fish tank, fancy sump, whatever you choose...more room the better...

Could I just put strainers on the holes, one drains, one returns?

You could, but I would think you would want your water level higher than that.

Oh right. Thats where the slip elbows come in, right?

You will need to raise you return side up to the desired water level also, or your tank will back siphon down to the bulk head.

something that looks like this. Really easy to do

Thanks for the pic, that helps.

You will need to raise you return side up to the desired water level also, or your tank will back siphon down to the bulk head.

Hence the drilling another hole for the return then?

No you can use something like . Nice and easy to adjust. Other option would be a a float valve. So if water goes the wrong way it closes. I use both to be cautious.

These are all good suggestions. I will add that the reason you want to use an overflow is so that you get increased surface skimming. You want to pull a thin layer of water from the surface. If you use elbows you will get a thicker layer of water over a very small surface. Both will work, but increasing the perimeter of the overflow will allow you to draw a thinner layer of water which will be better for removing the organics that develop on the surface of the water.

I would use either a glassholes overflow, or this from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1200-GPH-Overflow-Box-internal-aquarium-surface-skimmer-/181074621915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a28e375db

So let me make sure I have this straight. I would need two of those overflow boxes to cover both drain holes. I would want the boxes to be as high up as possible, which would mark my water line. Both boxes attach with silicone, and would have to be leveled exactly even. I could drill a hole in between the two holes. That would be my return, which would run up via pump from one side of my sump. Would the drain holes connect into one, pipe, or would they both run separately into my sump?

No, you have no reason to drill another hole if you don't want to

Typically, tanks without stock overflows have the return line that comes over the tank using something like this:

http://www.reefcentr....php?p=18852705

We are trying to say if you want to use your two existing bulkheads...add an overflow box to one, and locline on the other (to be used as return). You will have a back syphon issue if you're sump is not adequate since the bulkheads were drilled so low. You'll need to arch the locline return, use a large sump, or get a float valve to prevent a sump flooding...

I was stirring the pot when I said to drill another hole for your drain...you could then use the existing bulkheads as a closed loop, but I see no advantage for a closed loop on such a small tank, BUT you could...

You got this tank off someone else right? Ask them how they had it plumbed.

Edited by John

Since your experience is with an AIO system (Biocube, etc) you may not be familiar with sump back syphon, are you familiar with this concept or is it a source of confusion?

If you are going to keep the PVC plumbing I highly recommend you use true unions on your plumbing. This will allow pump maintenance, practical moving, and easy change in the future.

If you want to start simple just run two drains (using existing bulkheads with elbows and strainers) and then supply return line over the back of the tank using piece mentioned in above post. (This is how my first tank was plumbed) However, we're just trying to illustrate that you could plumb your tank in a dozen different ways to suit your needs. Without knowing your needs and several different suggestions being put on the table I think we're adding to the confusion (which is acceptable to admit btw)

Edited by John

So an overflow box on one side, and then lock tight bent upwards for an output. That seems like the simplest way. KISS.