A bacterial Disease?

SaltLife

Recently purchased a Anthia about 3 weeks ago. In the past week in a half i saw i bump on his face what looked like a pimple. It has developed now a little bit more and looks like it may have opened up. He hasn't been showing any signs of stress, no ich, still eating like crazy, swims around fine. I really don't know what it is on this fish. Been searching google for this a while and seems I have hit a brick wall. He is in the DT. I don't really like dosing the tank with any kind of meds(although if i need to take him out and QT and dose i can). I do my weekly water changes. I had bought two of them one looks great and is doing well.

Here is the tank stocking:

2 Firefish

2 Anthias

1 Lawn Mower Blenny

2 Clown fish

1Bloodshrimp

1 Cleaner Shrimp

PH 8.0

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

Phosphate 0

Bad picture but if you look at the nose of him it almost looks like its eating his nose away a little bit. He isn't very photo genic so its hard to get a clear picture of what it is im trying to describe. Hope this helps.

25d3734caf_zps3f4c8f50.jpg

Edited by SaltLife

Looks like lymphocystis virus. I have 3 fish covered in them. Those cottony lump cysts will drop off. Lymphocystis is an ugly highly contagious virus. It is only dangerous if it develops in the gills or the mouth. In those places they might obstruct breathing and eating.

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

Wow so i should immediately remove the fish, QT and then wait for the fish to fight it off then? Cause what you came up with and after reserching it a little looks like your spot on! Sounds like it may be contagious once it falls off?

You could but it's probably already in your DT. It's a highly contagious virus. This virus has been going around for about a year or more. I've seen it a lot. The first time I saw it was on angelfish I'd gotten from liveaquaria over a year ago or so. They were in QT for about 8 weeks. The cyst fell off and I never saw them again. Once the fish contracts it it has it. We may even have fish that have had it and we don't know about it. Like I said it's ugly and unless it is in the gills or on the mouth and obstructing vital functions it's ok.

No. I never looked it up.

During your search do you know how long a fish can have it before it hows signs, incubation period?

Wow very interesting. Is it something that will be popping up on the rest of my fish? the clowns blenny and wrasse have been in the tank for a while I guessing i probably wont see it on them? Or are they just as susceptible?

I've seen it on Genicanthus Bellus and Melanospilos as well as on banner fish. I think others have reported seeing it on clownfish and anthias.

Interestingly enough the article says it is species specific -

"Infection

Lymphocystis does show some host-specificity, i.e., each strain (or species) of lymphocystis can infect only its primary host fish, or some additional closely related, fish.

DNA studies have showed that there are different species of the virus. This has been suspected for some time because the viral particles from different fishes vary in size plus the virus from a fish usually will infect only that species of fish or a few other species closely related to the primary host."

Wow very interesting. Is it something that will be popping up on the rest of my fish? the clowns blenny and wrasse have been in the tank for a while I guessing i probably wont see it on them? Or are they just as susceptible?

Based on pix posted by Jan, do you think your fish have Lymphocystis? If so, feed well and maintain high water quality and the virus should subside. No meds can fix the problem. Lymph is like the flu, it has to run its course.

It does not sound like you quarantined the Anthias, so observe all fish intently for the next 8 weeks. Be prepared to react if something crazy rears its head, such as Brooks, Ich, Velvet, Flukes, and other parasites.

Edited by ridetheducati

Viruses tend to lay dorment. Stress can induce an outbreak. Even with proper quarentine there's no guarantee that any of our fish haven't been exposed and wont have an outbreak outside of the 8 week Qt period. This is why I don't freak out about this virus. It's like herpes; simplex (cold sore), zoster (shingles), etc.. Not like a bacterial infection. It just needs to run its course.

Based on pix posted by Jan, do you think your fish have Lymphocystis? If so, feed well and maintain high water quality and the virus should subside. No meds can fix the problem. Lymph is like the flu, it has to run its course.

It does not sound like you quarantined the Anthias, so observe all fish intently for the next 8 weeks. Be prepared to react if something crazy rears its head, such as Brooks, Ich, Velvet, Flukes, and other parasites.

Yea don't worry I have been paying VERY close attention to all other fish as well because like you said my biggest fear would be Ich or some other parasite to break out in the tank. But so far so good. Just did a weekly water change in the tank to keep water quality up like i do every week. Also like i said before, the Anthia and every other fish is acting completely normal but man this Anthia looks bad because of were it is located on him but he acts like nothing is there...

Knowledge is power! Know what to look for and what to do. It will reduce stress. Something like lymphosis is unpredictable, incurable and most importantly no big deal. No need to stress it with this one.

Ok so since i started this topic unfortunately I think the fish has gotten worse. What began to look like Lymph now looks more like a open sore. I'm about to quarantine the fish because I think it is something else other then lymph, I will try to keep him as happy as possible. He has what seems to becoming a hole in his nose area, you can nearly see the back side of his eye. I know we just had a great lecture about fish diseases but unfortunately so much info was given and I didn't not have a pen and paper to write most of it down. So hopefully some of this info is still fresh with you guys.

With is being a open would with no other symptoms what can i use to treat it? Because i feel I need to treat him with something quick!

And again acting nearly normal. He continues to eat fine. He will stick around the shrimp though so that the shrimp will clean his wound.

If the Anthia gives me the opportunity i will try to take a better picture.

For bacterial infections, she talked about using kanamycin. She also had other antibiotics on the list - I think Erythromycin was on the list, too. This may be easier to find. She talked about giving antibiotics by soaking their food in it rather than trying to treat the water.