cleaning large acrylic tank

Rosco's Reefs

A friend is emptying a crashed 300g 6ft bowfront acrylic tank (30 in tall.) His tank has the small holes cut in the top for access, rather than being open. What ideas or tools have you guys used to remove old sand, gravel, etc. from situations like this? We intend to clean it out as completely as possible and then rebuild it from the ground up. Thx in advance.

Ross

Be careful of scratching it. Emptying it depends on the substrate itself, if you van siphon it out then I'd do that, otherwise the net will work pretty well. I've also just taken gallon jugs and cut the tops off to use them as scoops. Round or square both work if t is legible enough o bend and conform.

Stupid iPad...

Scoop out what you cab easily then wet vac the rest. Given difficultly getting in to scrub (and scratch worries) I would then give it a soak in dilute muriatic.

thx, that's exactly what we did. Scooped and then wet-vac'ed. What is the story around the dilute muriatic? What will that do? Clean it better than the reach and rub we were able to do? Thx in advance.

Muriatic acid (diluted) will attack coralline or any other calcium carbonate deposits on the panes. I would use a solution diluted to 100:1 for an acrylic tank, which means you'll be using about 3 gallons of the stuff if you fill the tank. You could probably also just use 1 gallon instead of 3 and be patient. Still, this leaves you with 300 gallons of acid water that you need to dispose of.

If the panes are pretty clear, I'd probably just not worry about it. If there are minor scratches, get an acrylic scratch removing / polishing kit from Premium Aquatics and, with a little elbow grease, you should be able to do a nice job restoring the panes.

The corralline and the residual aragonite sand will dissolve with the muriatic. Will then require simply a wipe rather than any scrubbing. Can buy it by the gallon in the paint section at Lowe's

Edited by Steve175