Red Gracilaria

tainan

Anyone currently growing or have successfully grown Red Gracilaria? I hear that they are great tang food. I had two yellow tangs that loved Nuri, but I have a hippo that seems indifferent to it. Nibbles on it a bit, but not much and not often. I've thought of buying some Ulva / Red Gracilaria and trying to grow them out to feed the new Hippo. Any suggestions /pointers would be appreicated. Also, do any of the local LFS's carry either or both?

Thanks

I havent had any luck in actually growing it..ive ordered it many time to give my fish something special...

The last time INCREDIBLE CORALS did an ORA order steve ordered me some.....it was ALOT...

Mogurnda used to grow it a few years ago for his Caribbean tank, I think. I remember getting some from him. I didn't have much luck though growing it.

My gracilaria is finally growing.I have tried to keep it before but it always died.

For a long time this batch just sort of existed, not quite dead but certainly not growing so I left it alone. Recently it started doing much better. Good color, growing, waving in the flow. It certainly isn't growing at a rate fast enough to even feed my tangs once a week. I originally had some leds on that tank, (which the caulerpa loves) I recently added 2 6500K bulbs over the tank and the gracilaria has done better since then. The 6500K bulbs are on only during the day but the small led is on 24/7. Not sure if that is helping or hurting the gracilaria. I could only give you a small piece, but would be happy to share a little. You would probably be better off ordering some. I ordered mine. It was a lot! Enough to feed the tangs for a few days and still keep a bunch to grow out.

My Ulva on the other hand is out of control. I basically have an "ulva scrubber". :blush: (Does anyone else think that doesn't sounds quite right)? It is all attached to some egg crate and I basically scrape the egg crate every 2nd or 3rd day.The ulva is growing under an AI SOL. A bit expensive for a fuge light but I don't have any corals in that tank yet so I figured I would let the Ulva do some nutrient export for me. Unfortunately, the only tang who eats the ulva is the Caribbean blue.

I am super surprised that the regal doesn't eat Nori. That doesn't seem right...

Gracilaria and Caulerpa

IMG_2321_zpsfb36b817.jpg

Ulva crate after cleaning

IMG_2327_zps2d0b8c0f.jpg

Let me know if you want a small bunch of Gracilaria.

Petco sells gracalaria in bunches for $1.99. Not all stores carry it but any car order it in if you talk to the aquatics dept. manager. Gracaria actually likes a lower nutrient level/high light which is why not a whole lot of people can actually grow it. With low-medium flow and a 6,500k CFL spotlight, it was growing like weeds in my mangrove lagoon.

Thanks Decadence, I'll try Petco for the Gracilaria, and Sharky since you don't have much it would probably be best to let yours keep growing. However, if you are coming to the meeting, I would like a little Ulva, if you could spare it. And yes, a Ulva scrapper does sound a little inappropriate.