Lighting Issue

onux20

Okay before I make a poor decision, please help.

I changed out the bulbs last week and found that the “bulb retaining mechanism” inside one of the DE MH sockets was jacked up. The internal piece in the socket is bent and no longer under tension and therefore won’t keep the bulb in place. So I ordered a replacement 250W DE socket.

Is this something I can replace with ZERO electrical skills and questionable DIY skills? If I replace one socket, should I replace both? Or all four sockets?

If not recommended I do this myself, is there someone willing to come over and do this for me for a nominal fee?

Thoughts, advice, or warnings are welcomed.

As long as you disconnect the power source, you'll be fine. I'm sure that you won't be doing any soldering- most of this will be push in connections. If it's easy to do one set, you may as well do the other.

Stuck like Chuck!

Took a while to figure out how to get the light apart to actually get to the connection. Now that I have it apart, there is a metal wire fastener that I cant get apart. So off to the hardware store tomorrow to get a new fastener and see if I can remember how to put it back together.

Thanks for the advice. I am only going to change the one socket that failed not both ends of the DE socket. That should be okay right?

Pictures would help. And, yes, you should be able to change the one end that has mechanical problems. Your electrical connections need to be secure. If you're crimping quick connects, make sure of it. Loose connections can cause early failure and actually be a hazard. If they're wire-nut connections, make sure that any bare wire is well inside the wire nut.

Tom, et al

Thanks. I crimped it as well as I could. Connection was secure when I buttoned the light back up. I only changed the one end that failed.

OpTest was good. However, the fans are REALLY loud now. Not sure what happened there.

Anyway, thanks for all of the advice and hints.

Ron, check to see if there's a wire or something dragging on one of the fans. Open it back up and you'll probably find something mechanical going on that you can easily address.