Quantum Reefs ROCKS!!!

Oprah Wrangler

I posted a thread this morning to our vendors looking for a mag 7 pump for my 34 gallon return. Steve and Vince with Quantum Reefs came to my rescue and sold me one of these http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/waveline-dc-pumps-by-h2o-systems. I will post some photos when it arrives. For now, let me tell you that if you have not been to this spot you need to take the time and go. The fish are beautiful, the coral are even better, the service is unmatched. The prices are great and Vince is very knowledgeable. These two make a great team. I went in for a pump and came out with that plus a pair of clown and some food for them.

Quantum Reefs...5 stars all the way

Thanks Steve and Vince

(edited)

Nice pumps. I've got two Waveline DC-5000's on my skimmer.

How long have you had them? What are your thoughts about overall functions? I got the 3000 model.

Edited by Oprah Wrangler

I recently purchased the dc3000. I plan to post a review soon.

I hope it is a good review. The pictures make it look a little toy like. When I was at Quantum Reefs and I got my hands on the DC 5000 it felt much more substantial than it looked. Buying new to the hobby equipment always makes me nervous but someone has to be the test subject. I will be experiencing buyers remorse until I have it plumbed in, plugged up, and running...lol. At least the buying process was painless and enjoyable.

I am waiting to get the waveline DC10000 for my 90 build but they supplier is sold out right now.

My two DC5000's are pinwheel skimmer pumps. They've been running since Thanksgiving and have been operating since then without any issues. I've had several power outages and, of course, feed cycles where the pumps are subject to startup. They have a nice, soft ramping startup characteristic which, in my mind, is less stressful on the pump. The shafts on these pumps are thick - the pumps are built like a tank. I can't give you much more of a long term perspective than that but they seem to be doing well. At this stage of the experience, I give them two thumbs up.

The speed control will make these really nice for a return pump. For a skimmer pump, the speed control allows me to have more control over how much air the pump draws. For most skimmers, once you find a setting, you shouldn't have to change it. However, the DC control over the speed may be useful to make a particular pump apply to a wider range of skimmer bodies.

That is a great review I am planning on using the DC 10000 as my return pump for my new 90 rimless there are 2 returns that go up to 5 foot high and will be split into 4 lock line returns. I am hoping with the power of this pump I will not need to have any power heads in the tank.