Is 10 inches enough?

sen5241b

:laugh: I wish I had asked this question sooner. Last night I hung a 150 watt MH Sunpod 10 inches over the water of my 20G long. I want to do clams. Is this the right height? Edited by sen5241b

Too..........many.........jokes........head........hurting!

I don't think you will be able to determine a "right" height. Best way would be to get a par meter to determine your light levels on the sand bed.

Edited by steveoutlaw

Too..........many.........jokes........head........hurting!

I don't think you will be able to determine a "right" height. Best way would be to get a par meter to determine your light levels on the sand bed.

Thx --In some places the rock is near the surface allowing me to place a clam higher --within, say, 12 inches of the light.

why are you asking us?

depends on its state

how many hours has it been like that (if more than for call all your friends and then the doctor)

... ok enough

That might be a little too close, but should be ok. I would only move it up if the tank gets too warm.

I had a 150w MH over a 30g and I had it about 12inches above the water. I Never had a problem growing anything in it.

I think I have my 250 MH about a foot above my tank (30 x 30 cube). I'd think you could go a little higher. Espeially since the tank is so shallow. Whatever you do, monitor your critters closely for signs that they're getting too much light and adjust accordingly.

I would move to about 20 inches up and then move it down if needed you can never be to careful .

My clowns have been uncharacteristically laying on the rocks although when I throw red sushi roe in the tank they dart towards it. I will monitor.

Seriously -I had this same sunpod sitting over a biocube 29 only 3 or 4 inches above the water. Clams, zoas and many softies did fine. Plates were fine BUT some LPS burned no matter where I put them in the tank