Ahoy-hoy!

Hello everyone! I moved to Baltimore from Orange County, Ca last summer to attend JHU for my PhD (studying physics).

Anyhoo, I've been reef keeping for a while now (5+ years), worked at a few SW LFS, and am just kinda a fish nut overall. I'm still an active member of my first marine aquarium society back in Minnesota (TCMAS), but I figured it's time to get to know the folks around here. I'm looking at starting a nano and a 40 over the next few months--my wife and I are moving into a house in just a few weeks and I'm stoked to have space for all my gear.

Since I don't have a tank setup at moment, here's a few pics of my previous tanks(can't find pics of my most recent, though!):

http://imgur.com/a/W6mhb

Well, enough about me, how are you?

were all good! I have a pico that I just set up and a 50g reef... BUT.....

tell us more about these future tanks... what sized nano? what ya doin with the 40? have you started to amass your equipment yet??

Hehe... I get all giddy thinking about future builds...

The nano will be a 14 or a 29 with LPS/softies. You can see a few of my typical nano mods in those pics. I'm planning on taking off the rim and lighting it with a single Kessil A150w ocean blue I picked up recently. The other mod I like is mounting a small koralia in the false wall for a pseudo-vortec. Beyond that, I just want it to look clean and be simple. I may do a faux sand bed with a sprinkling of real sand. Of course I'm planning on an ATO, JBJ AC jr, etc.

The 40br will be a similar mentality, going with a maxspect razor (haven't decided on 10k or 16k), but with SPS. Details of that one are still coming together in my head.

I was given a condy by a friend who wanted to get some actual 'corals.' I had the pico lying around from a previous purchase. I took rock and sand from a very well established 40. The light is a 70w viper. I did top offs daily and ~50% w/c using water from my reef every few days (more stable than fresh SW). Temps would swing but the condy seemed plenty happy. The tank stayed up for a few months until a friend wanted to put the nem in a display sump. Simple tank, but I would never have done it as my only tank.

Tell me more about this!

Oh, forgot to mention, I had a good chunk of purple ogo in there and a few orange mushrooms. :-) Neat little tank on the kitchen table.

• 4 weeks later...

Dude, Wes. Welcome to wamas from another former OC guy. :)

Ahh, I miss it. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford to go back. ;-)

Welcome! Didnt see this thread until now. I live just outside of Baltimore.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many up this way. Once I get things going, I'll have to have you over for a 'boh and a look at my tanks.