DIY Overflow to Sump (need advice)

Oprah Wrangler

Hello,

Well, wamas has never let me down. So as I stand on the precipice of another grand DIY adventure, I turn to wamas for advice. I have a 30 gallon breeder, http://wamas.org/for...reeder-project/ , that I want to put a DIY pvc overflow on. I have researched alot of designs over the last 3 months and now I want to know what you guys would design. I am looking for something as quiet as possible and self priming. I am open to all suggestions except for drilling the tank. Thanks in advance for the advice and I look forward to this thread.

Guest thefishman65

Look on RC for something like $15 PVC overflow. IIRC it was self priming and everything you are looking for. If you can't find it let me know and I will try and find it.

[EDIT]

Well I was close $15 PVC Overflow - stupid capitalization :)

Thanks for the link, that is the design that i have found during my research. It looks really good, my only concern is noise. I worry about sucking/gurgling sounds at the intake and the waterfall sound as the water moves through the pvc. I figure a ball valve on the output pipe might help with draining noise as well as flow restriction (if needed). What about noise potential at the intake?

Guest thefishman65

Don't know since I have never used one. A ubend on the input may help with the gurgling - may need a small hole to allow flow. A gate may mean an overflow if something get into the pipe. How much flow are you talking about?

(edited)

I would like to flow at 600 gph (20x water volume) Do you think that is to much? What do you think I use for pipe diameter? I was thinking 1" on the overflow and 0.5" on the return.

Edited by Oprah Wrangler

I have a CS50 hang on the back over flow for sale if you are interested it comes with the aqua lifter it was only used for about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the link, that is the design that i have found during my research. It looks really good, my only concern is noise. I worry about sucking/gurgling sounds at the intake and the waterfall sound as the water moves through the pvc. I figure a ball valve on the output pipe might help with draining noise as well as flow restriction (if needed). What about noise potential at the intake?

If I am interpreting the design right, it shouldn't make a sucking sound. The 1.25 cap at R probably has a hole in it that draws air in and allows water to fall freely down the tube labeled "O." The "siphon" action occurs between A and F on the left, and N and I on the right. This design is more like a two-input HOB overflow. It's just made of PVC tubing. G and H provide walls that keep water in the tubing in case water stops entering A and N (in the event of a return pump failure), and allows for re-start after water begins flowing again. So, there is no "sucking" at A and N, water just flows over the top and into the tubing, essentially "pushing" it over the wall at G and H. The top of A must be higher than the bottom of P. Likewise the top of N must be higher than the bottom of Q for this to work. You may get a sucking air sound out of the hole at R, but if you do, just stick a piece of airline down into the hole to help muffle it.

Guest thefishman65

You guys are taking away from the "DIY Adventure" :)

I really don't know I expect 1 inch would be enough. You may want to initial opening to be larger to allow for more surface skimming.

You guys are taking away from the "DIY Adventure" :)

I really don't know I expect 1 inch would be enough. You may want to initial opening to be larger to allow for more surface skimming.

I was thinking about that also.

That is what I get for reading on my phone.

Why is drilling out of the question?

The tank is up and running. The fish and nem that are in are happy. I did the drilled glass holes thing on a 75 and I am over it...lol

Alright, I built and tested the overflow and return this weekend and it is very quiet. I will add that the check valve on the priming airline tube is a must ( I thought it was optional), the unit will not hold a siphon without it. I also hooked up a SCWD to the return. Tonight I will break it down and glue it together. I will take pictures and post them of the reconstruction process. Thanks for all the help yall.

Cool. I hope it works out for you. I always cringe when I hear the concept of overflow and check valve.

You know, the design doesnt have to use a checkvalve but I see why folk took to using one. You could use something else you just have to be able to close the device before you release the suck presure on the airline.