My clownfish spawn again (3rd) one for these pair

flooddc

Here they go again, they laid a new batch of eggs last Friday. So should be ready to hatch this weekend.

The last batch, I was able catch a dozen or so of their fry and none survived (lasted 3 days). Just order a breeder net and I am going to try to rear them inside the tank (if I can catch them, hard to do in the dart with a flash light).

Interestingly, I was able to capture a video of the male clownfish fending the eggs from a large turbo snail. I thought the eggs was a goner, but contrary the clownfish successfully drive the snail away (these little guys do pack a powerful bite, bit me a few time when I sticked my hand in to remove some stuburn algae).

Thanks, I'll look into Vossen catcher. Last time I tried putting a hose close to their eggs (attempting to suck them as the eggs hatched), they get extremely agitated I rather not stress them out!

The larvae are phototrophic. The night they are going to hatch watch the tank until they start. once they do turn off ALL pumps so there is no water movement whatsoever. find the smallest flshlight you can find and shine it at the top of the water column. The larvae will be attracted and slowly swim to the surface. Once they are congregated enough dip them out with some sort of container. DO NOT use a net! Larvae are very fragile and can't swim well. You can siphon them as well but it needs to be slow.

Like Coralhind suggested larval snaggers are easy to use and effective. They also free up a lot of your time as it can take a while for all the eggs to hatch.

When you try to grow out the larval make sure the tank ( or whatever) is lit from the top and the sides/bottom are totally blacked out( even heater lights should be taped with black electrical tape). It is also good to tint the water green with phytoplankton as it diffuses the light. If the larvae are all at the top the light is not strong enough, if at the bottom the light is too strong. They should be dispersed through the water column.

If you get this far we can discuss feeding next :)

Edited by Scott_LM

The larvae are phototrophic. The night they are going to hatch watch the tank until they start. once they do turn off ALL pumps so there is no water movement whatsoever. find the smallest flshlight you can find and shine it at the top of the water column. The larvae will be attracted and slowly swim to the surface. Once they are congregated enough dip them out with some sort of container. DO NOT use a net! Larvae are very fragile and can't swim well. You can siphon them as well but it needs to be slow.

Like Coralhind suggested larval snaggers are easy to use and effective. They also free up a lot of your time as it can take a while for all the eggs to hatch.

When you try to grow out the larval make sure the tank ( or whatever) is lit from the top and the sides/bottom are totally blacked out( even heater lights should be taped with black electrical tape). It is also good to tint the water green with phytoplankton as it diffuses the light. If the larvae are all at the top the light is not strong enough, if at the bottom the light is too strong. They should be dispersed through the water column.

If you get this far we can discuss feeding next :)

thnks for the great advice!

Great info! I'm hoping he gets far enough so we can read about feeding next.

keeping my finger crossed!

saw a few silvery ones. tonight..looks like they are ready tomorrow night..man I hope I get back in time for it.

Chuck,

Breeding fish is an addiction all its own, cool that you are getting the bug. The next step is to look at rotifers and baby brine shrimp in a separate tank. Without the live foods for them, survival of the fry are next to impossible.

The advice above is great, and the time is not at all wasted. It will pay off on the future spawns. Note your timing of eggs laid to hatch to respawn. Well fed fish are like clockwork.

Thanks Doug,

Keeping fish is an additciton already. Breeding went up another level :laugh:

I breed many freshwater fish before, but this is totally new to me. My other pair of clowns spawned many time (until recently the female just died without sign or warning). I figured I tried a few time to see how it goes.

I read some online article on culturing rotifers...seem do able, but of work. With my schedule, not likely able start. I seen people selling them on CL before, hopefully I can get some live rotifers.

Found this old, but nice article, hopefully someone else will jump on board too!!!!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/9/breeder

• 2 months later...

They spawned at least 3-4 more times since then. I gave up! no rotifers and 2AM in the morning trying to get the babies is too much. Going back to breeding mollies :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !

• 3 months later...